Lawn Care Forum banner

Soil Health

25K views 78 replies 6 participants last post by  Smallaxe 
#1 ·
#53 ·
phasthound, I like your citation of the Tarbell and Koske paper (it also cites my research). If you read the paper, you'll find that all positive plant effects from mycorrhizae were LESS than those form using nitrogen fertilizers alone. They also found that no incoulum increased mycorrhizae numbers beyond those found in un-inoculated soil. Good try, though.

Your second attachment includes a lot of irrelevant info (remember, ther eare differences between annual and perennial croppign systems). The only relevant citation is the Genna et al paper, which simply restates the Tarbell and Koske findings. Its also interesting to note that you thought data from 2010 could be outdated when it did not support your position, but you think 1997 data is somehow better.

Again, nice try. If you're looking to deliver poor quality lawns at a high cost with no fertilizer, you certainly have found your answer!

#54 ·
Clearly, the use of the native top soil is preffered as it takes centuries to fully develop. This is why it is removed and carefully managed on so many sites.

The Mycoriziea is a slow mover. IE you can not spray it on top of the soil and expect it to move 12 inches deep. In Koske paper, this was sited as well. Proper soil management and good soil medium and fertilization are key factors that can not be over come by mycorrhizal products alone.

To say they are not a pancea is a far statement. However, again when we are faced with rebuilding sub-soils practically void of organic materials they are very helpful. Particularly for trees. I have seen turf around trees that I treated also respond well.

I believe the TAMU studies I first posted and their sampling of plants in the strip mines versus no-treated plants. You will find studies of some trees not doing well, that is because that species does not readily accept the relationship for some reason.

It is a shame that many of the products do not work as advertised but that is not the same as saying the concept is faulty.

#55 ·
phasthound, I like your citation of the Tarbell and Koske paper (it also cites my research). If you read the paper, you'll find that all positive plant effects from mycorrhizae were LESS than those form using nitrogen fertilizers alone. They also found that no incoulum increased mycorrhizae numbers beyond those found in un-inoculated soil. Good try, though.

Your second attachment includes a lot of irrelevant info (remember, ther eare differences between annual and perennial croppign systems). The only relevant citation is the Genna et al paper, which simply restates the Tarbell and Koske findings. Its also interesting to note that you thought data from 2010 could be outdated when it did not support your position, but you think 1997 data is somehow better.

Again, nice try. If you're looking to deliver poor quality lawns at a high cost with no fertilizer, you certainly have found your answer!
Wait for a second... The Koske paper clearly stated the new greens were slow to colonize naturally.... that AMF was benificial to turf and the need to find a commerical inoculant would help greens keepers bring their product to market faster.

This disputes your statement that Mycorizial fungus did not benifit turf and that it would quickly colonize naturally.

3 of the 8 product samples did colonize but at a low rate on Turf!!! I do not use it for turf, I use for trees. The author is saying, to use it for turf, test the product first and expect to apply it 5 to 10 higher for turf. The effective products worked better on Corn.

They also would work better on Trees too.

#56 ·
For some reason I am unable to download the file with the diagrams.

USGA GREEN SECTION RECORD November / December 1995
MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI
BENEFIT PUTTING GREENS
by R. KOSKE1, J.N. GEMMA2,
and N. JACKSON1
Department of Botany1 and Department of Plant Sciences2,
University of Rhode Island,
Kingston, Rhode Island

ENDOPHYTIC microorganisms occur in most species of plants as inhabitants of above- or below-ground organs. Their presence in the tissues either elicits no apparent effect in the normal functioning of the infected plants, or the endophytic may confer various benefits to the host. Grasses are no exception and present intriguing examples of these associations that can have application in turf management.
Fungi are the most frequently encountered partners with grasses, and several species that colonize leaves and stems are now known to confer protection from herbivores and environmental stresses. These properties are being exploited for turfgrass species, where resistance to depredation from surface-feeding insects is a major benefit. Unfortunately, these fungi do not inhabit root tissues, but, as in most plant roots, grass roots harbor other endophytic fungi, in particular, many species of vescular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (VAM) fungi can be found. VAM endophytes have been extensively documented, and their beneficial effects on growth and development of a range of plant species have been demonstrated. However, the species involved and their biology and impact in the turf environment have received only cursory examination. In fact, there is a common belief that VAM fungi are of little importance in highly maintained turf where the extensive fine root system of the grasses receives ample water and nutrients that eliminate the requirement for the symbiosis. With the generous support of the USGA, a research project to investigate the subject of VAM in turfgrasses commenced at URI in 1990.
We sampled turf throughout New England and performed a variety of greenhouse and field trials to assess the incidence and importance of VAM fungi in golf greens. Our efforts were focused on creeping bentgrasses (Agrostis palustris cv Penncross) and velvet bentgrass (Agrostis canina cv Kingstown). Initially, we needed to determine how frequently the fungi occurred in association with these turfs and what species of fungi were involved.
In our four-year study we found 29 species of VAM fungi occurring with these bentgrasses, several of which were new species. None of the species have previously been studied for any particular impact on bentgrass turf, yet virtually every one of the more than 200 root zone samples examined contained VAM fungi.
We performed numerous growth experiments where bentgrasses were inoculated with different species of VAM fungi. All experiments were carried out in a medium meeting USGA Green Section specifications for sand greens. The fungi were added to the mix before seeding. The fungus that we used most frequently was Glomus Intraradices, the only species for which sufficient inoculum was commercially available. Results of inoculation were striking. Establishment of young turf was enhanced by inoculation with mycorrhizal fungi, and differences were apparent within three weeks after seeding. Turfs older by several months continued to grow more vigorously with Mycorrhizae. In addition to improved growth, mycorrhizal turf was greener than non-mycorrhizal turf and possessed up to 60% more chlorophyll.
Phosphorus fertilization rate affected how well the VAM fungi performed. The most vigorous mycorrhizal turfs were those that received frequent applications of a low-P fertilizer solution. When the P concentration was too high or too low, Mycorrhizae did not enhance growth.
Mycorrhizal fungi are sensitive to a range of pesticides (e.g., Benlate, Aliette, Phaltan, Diazinon), and the benefits to turf may thus be lost temporarily if suppressive materials are applied.
In both field miniplots and greenhouse trials in pots, mycorrhizal turf of Penncross survived drought conditions far better than did non-mycorrhizal turf. After a five-day drought, mycorrhizal turf in the field study showed 39% less water stress than did control turf, and after eight days, the difference was 60% (Figure 1).

In the greenhouse study, turf without mycorrhizae began wilting after three days, but mycorrhizal plants were wilted only after five days (Figure 2).

Mycorrhizal turfs also recovered more rapidly, producing three times as much leaf matter as the controls (Figure 3).

Preliminary trials indicated that mycorrhizae may provide some protection against the take-all fungus Gaeumannomyces graminis. As noted in the growth trials, however, this benefit was present only when P concentration was moderately low. At higher levels of P mycorrhizal turfs tended to be susceptible to take-all.

#57 ·
Wait for a second... The Koske paper clearly stated the new greens were slow to colonize naturally.... that AMF was benificial to turf and the need to find a commerical inoculant would help greens keepers bring their product to market faster.

This disputes your statement that Mycorizial fungus did not benifit turf and that it would quickly colonize naturally.
Did you notice the different in colonization time for conventionallly managed greens and inoculated greens? Hint: it was less than one week! And, they found that mycorrhizae OTHER THAN THE ONES THEY APPLIED colonized quicker! They found that if they applied a commercial mycorrhizae, that same species colonized no faster than it would have naturally, while other species colonized a few days faster.

A couple of days advance does not justify the expense for me. After a week, you can't even tel lthe difference in what's been treated anyhow.

Issues like this really separate the men from the boys. Some lawn boys think that a spray will solve all their problems. Those who actually understand ecology and microbiology know better.

#58 ·
Did you notice the different in colonization time for conventionallly managed greens and inoculated greens? Hint: it was less than one week! And, they found that mycorrhizae OTHER THAN THE ONES THEY APPLIED colonized quicker! They found that if they applied a commercial mycorrhizae, that same species colonized no faster than it would have naturally, while other species colonized a few days faster.

A couple of days advance does not justify the expense for me. After a week, you can't even tel lthe difference in what's been treated anyhow.

Issues like this really separate the men from the boys. Some lawn boys think that a spray will solve all their problems. Those who actually understand ecology and microbiology know better.
No I did not read that in the report. Please point me there. I got your boy for you just come and get it or back off the smack.

#59 ·
Here is what I read "While turf in newly constructed greens meeting the USGA specifications will eventually form mycorrhizas, the migration of AMF fungi is slow. In a study of 20 greens not inoculated with AMF, the population of AMF spores in one- and two-year-old greens was very low or spores were absent entirely. "

#60 ·
Here is what I read "While turf in newly constructed greens meeting the USGA specifications will eventually form mycorrhizas, the migration of AMF fungi is slow. In a study of 20 greens not inoculated with AMF, the population of AMF spores in one- and two-year-old greens was very low or spores were absent entirely. "
and

The addition of high quality AMF inoculation to the greens medium prior to seeding can significantly shorten establishment time (Gemma et al., 1997a) as well as provide the benefits previously cited. Quicker establishment of turf means that putting greens may be playable earlier, an economic gain to the golf course.

#61 ·
The linked paper was a redux version of a peer-reviewed paper that was made easier to read for the general public. All the conclusion in the paper were taken from the author's own work and the work listed in the "further reading" section.

Still, no one has produced research to the contrary ....
Odd .... why didn't he "reference" his own paper. :laugh:

Despite the fact you would have everyone believe you have done an exhaustive review of all science regarding soils, you have not .... not even close. Further, if you think the opinion paper you posted settles the subject of soil health and fertility or lends support to your ridiculous claims here you are sadly mistaken. Beyond that, this paper you have posted primarily addresses sports turf on sand based systems .... how many people here work with sports turf on sand bases? What is the percentage of sand based turf vs. all the rest of the turf in the world? What about parts of the landscape that aren't turf?

A small sample of published literature I have posted on this subject here before . I am sure you will find some research in there that does not agree with your opinion piece. Links may be broken, or not.

------------------------------------------------------

Impacts on Microbes & Microbial Communities

FERTILIZERS (Organic & Inorganic)

The effects of chronic nitrogen fertilization on alpine tundra soil microbial communities: implications for carbon and nitrogen cycling

Chronic nitrogen enrichment affects the structure and function of the soil microbial community in temperate hardwood and pine forests

Chronic nitrogen additions reduce total soil respiration and microbial respiration in temperate forest
soils at the Harvard Forest

Changes in Soil Microbial Biomass and Bacterial Community in a Long-term
Fertilization Experiment During the Growth of Maize

Bacterial Community Structure and Diversity in a Century-Old Manure-Treated Agroecosystem

Seasonal changes in soil microbial communities along a fertility gradient of temperate grasslands

Responses of the bacterial and fungal biomass in a grassland soil to multi-year applications of dairy manure slurry and fertilizer

Responses of grassland soil nematodes and protozoa to multi-year and single-year applications of dairy manure slurry and fertilizer

Soil microbial biomass and selected soil enzyme activities: effect of fertilization and cropping practices

Responses of Active Bacterial and Fungal Communities in Soils under Winter Wheat to Different Fertilizer and Pesticide Regimens

Spatial and seasonal variation of gross nitrogen transformations and microbial biomass in a northeastern US grassland

Abstracts

Soil biological quality of grassland fertilized with adjusted cattle manure slurries in comparison with organic and inorganic fertilizers

Fungal biomass in pastures increases with age and reduced N input

Fungal/bacterial ratios in grasslands with contrasting nitrogen management

Soil microbial community responses to dairy manure or ammonium nitrate applications

Chemical and biological indicators of soil quality in organic and conventional farming systems in Central Italy

Application of fresh and composted organic wastes modifies structure, size and activity of soil microbial community under semiarid climate

Structure and function of the soil microbial community in a long-term fertilizer experiment

The role of tree leaf mulch and nitrogen fertilizer on turfgrass soil quality

Long-term effect of mineral fertilizers and amendments on microbial dynamics in an alfisol of Western Himalayas

Ground beetle abundance and community composition in conventional and organic tomato systems of California's Central Valley

Organic and synthetic fertility amendments influence soil microbial, physical and chemical properties on organic and conventional farms

Long-term effects of organic and synthetic soil fertility amendments on soil microbial communities and the development of southern blight

Effects of cover crops, compost, and manure amendments on soil microbial community structure in tomato production systems

WATER

Influence of irrigated agriculture on soil microbial diversity

Response of microbial community composition and activity in agricultural and grassland soils after a simulated rainfall

Flooding effects on soil microbial communities

Microbial Communities in High and Low Recharge Environments: Implications for Microbial Transport in the Vadose Zone

CROP RESIDUES

Redistribution of crop residues during row cultivation creates a biologically enhanced environment for soil microorganisms

Effects of mycorrhizal roots and extraradical hyphae on 15N uptake from vineyard cover crop litter and the soil microbial community

WEEDS

Nitrogen source influences wild mustard growth and competitive effect on sweet corn

Nitrogen Fertilizer, Manure, and Compost Effects on Weed Growth
and Competition with Spring Wheat

COMPACTION & TEXTURE

Nitrogen mineralization and microbial biomass as affected by soil compaction

Microbial Responses to Wheel-Traffic in Conventional and No-Tillage Systems

Compaction alters physical but not biological indices of soil health

Active fractions of organic matter in soils with different texture

GENERAL DISTURBANCE

Microbial community responses in forest mineral soil to compaction, organic matter removal, and vegetation control

Soil microbial community composition and land use history in cultivated and grassland ecosystems of coastal California

Carbon and nitrogen conservation in dryland tillage and cropping systems

Soil Scarification and Wildfire Interactions and Effects on Microbial Communities and Carbon

PLANT COMPOSITION

Invasion by an exotic tree alters above and belowground ecosystem components

#62 ·
Come on, Kiril! That majority of your links have nothing to do with turf at all! Apparently you haven't read those that do, since they agree more with my statements than with yours. I suppose next, you'll try to tell me how you practice precision ag on lawns without accounting for differences between lawns!

Like I've said over and over, you guys can apply whatever you like to your lawns -- I'm not going to stop you. But, you're grasping at straws to find a way to back up what your salesman told you.

Maybe you should ask yourself one question:

If building soil microbial populations and soil health was such a good way to manage lawns, why isn't it recommended practice from the majority of university turf programs?

#63 ·
All right, before this gets out of hand.... instead of slinging mud at each other, I suggest we agree that there are different opinions on how soil biology works and move on. Neither side is going to convince the other and the discussion will continue to disintegrate.

I brought up the subject of soil health not just as part of a good turf management program but also to highlight other reasons to improve the health of soils.

Healthy soils
• Decrease soil erosion and compaction
• Reduces the amount of nutrients required for healthy plants
• Conserves water by improving the soil’s ability to retain moisture
• Stabilizes pH so nutrients can be readily absorbed by plants
• Allows better root penetration
• Stimulates root development due to better structure and density of the soil
• Improves drainage especially in clay soils

#65 ·
All right, before this gets out of hand.... instead of slinging mud at each other, I suggest we agree that there are different opinions on how soil biology works and move on. Neither side is going to convince the other and the discussion will continue to disintegrate.

I brought up the subject of soil health not just as part of a good turf management program but also to highlight other reasons to improve the health of soils.

Healthy soils
• Decrease soil erosion and compaction
• Reduces the amount of nutrients required for healthy plants
• Conserves water by improving the soil’s ability to retain moisture
• Stabilizes pH so nutrients can be readily absorbed by plants
• Allows better root penetration
• Stimulates root development due to better structure and density of the soil
• Improves drainage especially in clay soils
I've come to understand that soils need to have beneficials thriving in them in order for the soils to be providing the environment for the plants to be thriving... that is no longer at issue...
I always ignore the pages of senseless arguements between 2 reference-slingers, so perhaps I missed the next step of soil management that never gets addressed...

Every article I've come across, stops short of stating what one can do to increase the beneficial population of microbes... nematodes like to eat bacteria, utilizing the high protien in them, then excrete N that is plant ready... [/b] but what if we are not growing healthy numbers of those bacteria?[/b]

#66 · (Edited)
Come on, Kiril! That majority of your links have nothing to do with turf at all!
Come on skip. If you can't draw meaningful parallels between Ag/rangeland/forest soil management to turf & landscapes than you are more ignorant than I had previously thought.

Apparently you haven't read those that do, since they agree more with my statements than with yours. I suppose next, you'll try to tell me how you practice precision ag on lawns without accounting for differences between lawns!
Again with the ignorance.

Like I've said over and over, you guys can apply whatever you like to your lawns -- I'm not going to stop you. But, you're grasping at straws to find a way to back up what your salesman told you.
Let's assume I am in the spray and pray biz, what do I apply to my lawns?

Maybe you should ask yourself one question:
Maybe you should ask yourself why you continue to put words in peoples mouths and make claims you never have any hope of supporting.

#70 ·
Let's be gentle please. Some people are trying to learn.
Maybe some are are but I am not sure about others. I hope everyone reads some of the papers not the post so they can make up their own minds. The Koske paper as I read it is pretty much saying there is a NEED to inoculate new putting greens. The failure was firmly placed on the manufactures of the inoculates, one in being tained, two in dead spores and 3 in not enough spores in the recommended dose for TURF. The companies with viable spored did inoculate and colonize another form of grass called Corn.

Reading some of these white papers are like pulling teeth but keep in mind, they are subjected to peer review. This is particularly true if someone is trying to get tenure and seek further research funding.

I do not believe I have read any papers by anyone that says this is a "panacea". It is preferred to salvage and use native top soil, when that is present then you create a good growing medium. These products are an assist.

Plant size is more of a function of irrigation and fertilization but again the Mycor improves plant uptake but does not replace those items. If you are subject to drought or watering restrictions... again these products are your friend. However, some dealers are less than reputable.

#71 ·
To go back to the topic of soil health, I think the main issue here is soil organic matter and proper plant nutrition. No matter which side of the fence you come down on with regards to mycorrhizal inoculation or microbial introduction, all sources (those for and against adding biologicals) emphasize that some level of organic matter is needed to support biological processes and that poor soil nutrient status leads to poor plant health.

#72 ·
To go back to the topic of soil health, I think the main issue here is soil organic matter and proper plant nutrition. No matter which side of the fence you come down on with regards to mycorrhizal inoculation or microbial introduction, all sources (those for and against adding biologicals) emphasize that some level of organic matter is needed to support biological processes and that poor soil nutrient status leads to poor plant health.
That would be a priority in all cases where the soil barren. No argument there. Those are primary tools.
not sure I deviated from the discussion

#73 ·
Soil health or value would have a lot to do with soil structure regardless of soil texture... OM makes the difference between dirt vs. soil IMO...

Dumping NPK on dirt that has no CE sites to either hold the ferts for transfer or indeed be available for transfer to the plant in adequate amounts is a waste of NPK and leaves the lawncare guy blaming those evil contractors...

Compacted clay vs. sandy sieve would be handled differently in order to make it healthy, and dumping microbes onto it without food or regard to habitat is no different than dumping NPK w/out regard to CEC... :)

#74 ·
Soil health or value would have a lot to do with soil structure regardless of soil texture... OM makes the difference between dirt vs. soil IMO...

Dumping NPK on dirt that has no CE sites to either hold the ferts for transfer or indeed be available for transfer to the plant in adequate amounts is a waste of NPK and leaves the lawncare guy blaming those evil contractors...

Compacted clay vs. sandy sieve would be handled differently in order to make it healthy, and dumping microbes onto it without food or regard to habitat is no different than dumping NPK w/out regard to CEC... :)
so you withhold the plant food because the soil is poor?

#76 ·
Well, to keep the party going, add more organic matter. In addition, much of the food for microbes is exuded by plant roots. In fact, the exudate will favor the microbes that are beneficial to the plant. Roots constantly slough of dead cells which add to SOM.

Microbes also are responsible for mining nutrients from the inorganic parent material of the soil. Mycorrhizea are critical for unlocking P and transporting it to plant roots. Certain nitrifying bacteria extract N from the air in soil pores and make it plant available.

The human part of the puzzle is to use practices which enhance rather than harm the process that builds soil health.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.