soil layering question

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 3, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK,

I have a question... Stewards posted a pic of his lawn where he cut out a square to show what his soil looked like. The roots looked, and I think he mentioned, about 1'. The humus, I believe is what he used, was only about 1-2" deep.

So... my question is what good is the humus/compost if the roots go a good 10" below where it stops? I know that topdressing is good for situations like mine where there is sod put down and there is no way the customer is going to let you tear it up but I was just wandering what yall thought on this.

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

why tear it up just cut and roll it out of the way then fix the ground and re roll it down, same spots, edges, every thing just like it was???

3. DeepGreenLawn

well, I guess I could do that too. Never cut sod that was already down so I didn't know what was involved. I will try it at my next house/apartment/who knows where we will end up.

If I was able to do that, it would be more expensive (duhh), but that would like jump right to the finished product other than a tea here and there wouldn't it?

4. treegal1

ok some pics of a core its fresh only minutes old,
    top pic a 2 year organic soil and sod, no product only tea and compost, re grown from a weed patch, no sod and no rip out, this is the purest way at work
    middle pic, the transition zone chem on the left, organics on the right. still just a weed patch but there's some thing
    last pic this is what the area around my place looks like,all the surrounding lots are the same.

!cid_780.jpg

!cid_527.jpg

!cid_491.jpg

5. DeepGreenLawn

looks like you are ON the beech or right next to it

6. treegal1

put it this way we can smell the ocean, we are going to get you some more pics.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh, for the want of a sandy soil. :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. treegal1

OH Kiril, i shed a tear, thats......... wow......

that was my 3rd try to get a whole 14 inch core they just crumble, and its rained to

!cid_58.jpg

!cid_177.jpg

9. DeepGreenLawn

A lot of my yards are starting to crack too from the lack of water. I tried to take a soil sample the other day from some azaleas... I about broke my handle, had to be very gentle.

10. treegal1

yes that's the reason you will hear the mow guys busting on me for a 7 inch tall grass that gets cut to 4.5 inches. water is scarce now, also fyi that's an un irrigated yard!!!