soil needs for renovation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by accuratelawn, Mar 16, 2007.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2400 sq feet of very thin grass.
    How much top soil would be needed to spread 1/2 over entire area?
    Anyone have a formula?
    Thanks

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Well use your math--I cubic yard is 27 cubic feet--each ft has 12 sq.ft of 1" dirt or 24 sq. ft of 1/2" soil (Not Enough)12 X 27 = 294 sq.ft of 1" soil so you need 10 cubic yards of topsoil. It is delivered by cubic yards or scoops--I alway figured a scoop was a cubic yard but in reality it might be a bit more. And of course it depends on the scoop size. You'll have to ask the company from which you're buying about the scoop size.

3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

Actually its 3.55 cubic yards of loam,a more accurate why to figure is 2400x.08 divided by 27 then divided by 2,any way good luck.

4. accuratelawn

Thanks guys..... One says 10 the other 3.55. Big spread. Anyone have more to add or clarification?

5. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

1 in = .0833 feet so...
    2400 sq. ft. @ 1 in' deep = 200 cu. ft.

27 cubic feet = 1 cubic yard

so...

200 cu. ft. = 7.04 yard of top soil

In the end:

2000 sq ft. @ 1'' = 7.04 yards
    2000 sq ft. @ 0.5'' = 3.52 yards

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Maybe I'm just old and new math is beyond my understanding. However if you take a 12" X 12" X 12" block and cut it into 12" wide and long and 1" thick, wouldn't one have 12 (1" X 12" X 12") pieces, 12 sq.ft. Tell me how you arrived at .08 stuff. I suggested 1" thick rather than 1/2" to get my roughly 10 cubic yards to cover that 2400. Not being negative--I just understand the other math calculations for dirt. Don't want to cause a contest--just can't understand that way of mathing.

7. RAlmaroad

from SC

Hit the post too quickly. So, correct calculation for the 2400sq ft. would look like this 2400/12=200sq.ft. 200sq.ft/27cubic ft= 7.04 cubic yards of 1" soil or 3.55 rounded up to 4 cubic yards of soil. Picture Perfect is right on the number of yards but it is for 2400sq ft. instead of the 2000. Same answer just different ways of thinking However when I do this type of yards, I always order more soil than needed--seems like there's always dips and holes that show up that need to be evened out. If you go with the 1/2"- order 5yards. If you go with an 1" or so order the 10 yards. It don't go that far.

8. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a position on the math exercise , but how did you determine that adding topsoil fixes thin grass ? Have you considered core aeration if the soil is compacted ? Is there a shade or irrigation or fertilization problem ? Are you topdressing or starting over with seed or sod ? Maybe you have already progressed beyond this analysis and eliminated these possibilities , but I don't see how adding one half inch of topsoil will fix your problem . With 30% shrinkage , that is imo a minimal adjustment to the equation. Good luck.

9. accuratelawn

Thanks for the responses.
    The soil will be added in addition to aeration and overseeding or sod.