Soil Perculation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jun 28, 2012.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In Cal, the only problem I can think of is when it gets hot. Otherwise, if there is total control of the soil and irrigation, even that is survivable. I thought I had it bad until I found out about how most people on the forum have to manage non irrigated cool season grasses. That would drive me crazy.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that is TTTF with total control over irrigation. Water is a PGR too. As far as the soil goes, it is your typical construction native trash soil. BTW, that fescue is deficit irrigated.

Profile of that turf.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  3. greendoctor

That is what I thought. TTTF also has a low requirement for fertility. Most people get into trouble with too much N with TTTF.

4. greendoctor

Deficit irrigation is one of the ways I keep bermuda and zoysia from needing twice a week mowings. ET here is 1.25" per week. I supply 1" or less.

5. greendoctor

I would take that over what is called soil here in a heartbeat.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

At the time of that pic, that soil is the result of about 16 years of careful management. Then last year it all went to hell in a hand basket as a result of heavy construction traffic. Much of the soil in the valley is class 2, class 1 if irrigated, which does make management somewhat easier, even if it has been farmed to death before it was built on.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Our winter overseed with PR is about as trouble fee as you could ask for.

Even at peak ET, as high as 2 inches per week we still run at 1" of water but the lawns do not look too good but average

8. greendoctor

Growing grass is its own soil conditioning and aeration mechanism. I have almost all Class 2 soils with serious chemistry issues. I love Class 1 soils not layered with Class 2 soils because those are the sites fixable with compost.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have no clue what class around here or what I have but calling soil after the home builder gets done is a stretch :laugh:

10. greendoctor

I told you how builders ruin the ground for support of plant life. Many people have been taken by that move. Soil testing tells all.