Soil Perculation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't necessarily agree with this. Some sites and soils need help, especially under heavy usage patterns.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Did not say that grass growing without outside inputs would do this. I should know. Withhold water and nutrients from a turf site in my area and it is no longer turf.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Provided I could actually get a representative sample.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I was speaking with respect to managing a soils physical properties.

5. greendoctor

You mean that for all of the restrictions, permits, and inspections on everything else, doing that to soil in a residential area is allowed? Does not compute or add up.

6. greendoctor

Of course.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

If the client does not want to pay for aeration and compost then the best we can do is manage the fert program. I will say again, the turf is the best source for adding organic matter to the soil but aeration and composting will kick start the program

8. greendoctor

I have seen time and time again how a good fertility program produces immediate as well as long term results. I have also seen a compost topdressing produce immediate results. Neither way is wrong especially if they are utilized under the right circumstances. I do feel foolish adding more organic matter to soil that is running 10-14% OM when there are other issues actually causing the problems. Most of my problems have nothing to do with OM content,

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Most native soils even rich soils do not have more than 5% OM

10. greendoctor

They do here. It is from undecomposed roots, stems and thatch. Lots of our thatch here is caused by starvation. When the grass does not have enough N, it resists breakdown.