Soil Perculation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Really? Does the soil profile change? Do you seen any earth worms?

What area are we talking about specifically geographically?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need a deep core aeration and topdress.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I am wondering about the organics in the soil too. He may have perched water table but that seems pretty shallow @ 4".

One reason I like to do my injections of PCH for Trees is it also helps break up the hard pan clay 12" deep around the feeder roots.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

............. Why? :dizzy:

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Just because you get so fired up.

:laugh:

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

No, the soil profile doesn't change... No earthworms either... this is a heavy clay topsoil layer placed over a sand pile called a hill... so, geographically we are growing turf on a hardpan that is on top of the sand , rather that the other way around...

Since winter snows and spring thaws are unable to soak through this hard pan, we seem to have the best luck irrigating this way... we've discovered this quite by accident, in that the daily rinse was more for the sake of the dog urine, and I expected we'd have to make adjustments over the course of the growing season, becuz the grass would suffer under this type of irrigation...

However, the grass has not suffered, but has done extraordinarily well... in fact, we can't see that there is any kind of downside in the turf... AND... it even diminishes the problem with dog spots... :)

8. Smallaxe

But we are getting off course a bit... has anyone stepped outside the box and attempted a strategy with clay that kept the stuff from drying out or getting super-muddy???

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Not sure how to help you based on the data given

10. Smallaxe

Putting aside all of the "optimum Solutions" that may be real or theoretical... I'm just wondering what various strategies have been implemented in the real world, that seemed to help...

I'm not pretending to supply data, only whether people have found effective ways of dealing with clay inexpensively, yet effectively... don't overthink it... :)