soil PH adjusting

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by growingdeeprootsorganicly, Jul 20, 2008.

1. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

what is the best time to adjust soil ph?

soil test( turf soil) indicate low ph 5.35

should I wait till fall or apply now to fix?

split apps fall and then spring?

sandy loam 2.% OM 7.70 LRI

soluble salt level=0.07 mmho/cm low salt level
    super high p 141 lbs per acre
    low k 110
    low mg 106
    low ca 668
    all other micro's are adequate

2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

forgot,

Soil test used Mehlich 3 extraction

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

growing,
    Do you use your own compost for sites or get it from someone else

The best way to adjust is to adjust the compost that you will be applying it works much better

Dr E gave an example in a talk that I heard, she had a fruit orchard that had applied tons of lime every year, every year the soil test came back to add tons and tons of more lime, 30 years the farm added lime just like the soil test said and every year it said to add more lime.

She had them take the lime that they normally put down and add it to the compost pile instead, after the compost had done its compost thing they added the compost to the orchard. The soil test the next year said that the PH was fine and no lime was needed

30 YEARS and no result, Why would it make sense to put lime down year after year? why did the composting procedure work?

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Is it because as the good guys broke down the compost the lime got stored and didn't leach away?

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

thanks bill for the info,
    I wish i had and made my own compost!!!!! maybe down the road.
    the only source is the local dump, ok leaf/grass/yard debris compost, screened pretty fine windrow piles
    I think the turn around is 3-5 months i think, pretty immature but still usable none the less. 20$ yard the price break is at a 100 yards there after it's 10 or 11 a yd.
    once i get some land i would love to make or get delivered large amounts to cure and amend. makes perfect sense to me about doc e's story. the property I'm having problems with doesn't have the budget for the top dress, 2% OM 12000sf
    I'll work on them!

6. DeepGreenLawn

Try breaking it up over time at less cost per treatment. Don't put down as much each time.

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

deep g,
    I see what your saying but, if i go though the trouble of taking time to pick up, deliver apply it would be cheaper for the customer to do it right the first time then making multi trips back and forth. time=$
    thanks deep:waving:

8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

recently we have had the pleasure to help a fellow that put to much top dress down, granted the top dress was i little hot and had more than the amount of nutrients that it should have, but it burned the grass(turf). the only thing we could do was advise to use less over all and more apps!!

and the lime thing, yeah we dont ever use sulfur or lime in the field, it goes in the compost first and then the field, usually we just mix and blend to the desired values. then it goes to the field and works a lot better and with less over all.

that word cheaper is..... lets just say cost effective, and if this was about time=costs then just re group and get back to basics. small amounts of compost and try to spread your inputs out over time, CT and compost and soy and all the others get along great! so every time just add a little more until you get the amount you need.

9. DeepGreenLawn

true... it seems to me that it is not much different than the guys making trad apps every 6 weeks.

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Haven't we learned that (thanks JD ) plants eat the same chem/organics, the nutrients are the same (more or less, not to be taken out of context) and you want to be there as many times as it is appropriate, to feed and get that $.you know that human exudate.LOL