Soil prep for seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bluemoon7, Oct 8, 2003.

1. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

Does anybody know a great way to prep the soil close to the house when doing a lawn install? We use a harley rake, (bobcat copy) and you can only get so close. Thw house we are going to do Fri. has big clumps of clay right at the house from when they backfilled. Any hepl would be great.

2. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

Hand rake far enough away from house to get harley in. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that is what I do. I usually add topsoil next to the house and don't have as many clay clods.

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Rent yourself a real good real big commercial size rototillar. ABout 70 bucks for the day. ANd till the ---- out of it. Works like a charm if it is still real bad add a couple inches of surrounding topsoil

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

6. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

I brought a small roto-tiller to use around objects that the Harley should not be close too (houses, landscape beds, etc.). Buy a Mantis roto-tiller for $250, break the clumps up, and then hand rake. It will cut your time in half vs. just hand raking.

7. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

A push power rake (dethatcher) works very well if it's not TOO gnarly.