Soil preparation on a 45 degree bank

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by barbados, Apr 22, 2005.

1. barbados

barbados LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Hi,

I've searched quite a bit and can't find an answer to my question concern so thought I would ask the Pros here. :)

I need help with soil preparation on a 45 degree bank.

I live in Phoenix Arizona. I am putting 5000 square feet of sod in my back yard (yeah I know the water bill and lawn care fee will be horrendous!).

My house was on a sloped piece of land - about 15 degrees from side to side and 25 degrees from front to back.

The home builder built the house on a large dirt/rock/gravel pad that left me with a 45 degree bank about 100 feet wide and 15 feet from top of the slope to the bottom. There is a block fence and water will drain through engineered holes in the lowest part of the yard.

I considered putting in more soil to decrease the degree of the slope of the bank, but decided it would be best to leave the bank as is to have the maximum amount of flat space for my boys to play in – to put a swing set in, etc. Later I intend to put a negative edge pool in directly off the patio so the slope will not be as much of a problem then, but digging out hundreds of tons of dirt would.

After grading and plowing the yard up, I added 60 tons of "Sod mix" (60% dirt, 30% wood mulch, and 10% sand) and spread it around fairly evenly and tilled it in. I did add
    more along the slope then elsewhere as I needed to even it up as it was irregular in contour.

I used a sod roller and was able to get most of the flat areas well compacted, but the slope is another story. Part of the problem is that it’s not easy pulling the sod roller up and down the slope so I went side to side.

In any case, the slope is still not compacted very well. I have tried watering and more sod rolling but when walking on it when dry I can leave a 4 to 6 inch depression from my weight (200 pounds).

My question is, how the heck do I prepare this so I can have sod laid down on it? Do I just hire lots of our inexpensive Mexican labor here to move the sod roller up and down until it’s compacted, do I rent some sort of large tool (vibratory roller on a tractor) or ????

:)

Darin

2. barbados

barbados LawnSite Member
    from AZ

I may be exagerating a bit - it might be closer to 30 degrees - it's still quite steep. :)

Darin

3. barbados

barbados LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Perhaps this is not the best forum for my question.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a better place to post my question?

4. barbados

barbados LawnSite Member
    from AZ

It rained pretty hard this weekend, and today it was just a matter of walking up and down the slope slowly using my own weight to pack down the slope...

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

have some one blow in a compost with erosion control measures in it.