soil probe,ph tester

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassroots lawn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member

Just Wanted To Know If I Can Get Help[ Finding Out Where To Get A Decent Soil Tester.something That Would Work Other Than Using The Localgov't Agency.. Thanks

2. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious about this also. Is there an efficient, accurate way to do this?

3. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Yo have just purchased a brand new, highly accurate, soil probe to measure your soils Ph. This new probe tells you your ph is 5.5. Now, what do you need to use to correct your ph levels? If you can answer this question, then you need a Ph tester. If you cant, send your soil samples to a testing facility.
    If you are really asking for a test kit to do your own soil analysis, Lamotte sells a decent one for around $500, and it includes a book to help you do the testing right and interpet the results.

5. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I agree with muddstopper

Here is the soil tester that I use that works very well, I have compared to actual soil tests and it is usually right on or very close.

http://userweb.cybernex.net/kelway/hb2.html

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday I bought one. Rapidtest pH meter, by luster Leaf Products. It cost about 13.95. You shine the metal probe with the included scotch brite pad and stick probe into ground. Reads on hand held meter on 24 inch wire. Easy convenient. It replaces an older on which the wire broke. Always carry it in my truck's door pocket. Accurate--well--hard to say I always try to check check any sample I send in to a real lab before i send it so that I have an accurated test to compare. My experience last year was fairly accurate.
    I also have a soil moisture meter. It is helpful when someone claims they water their lawn more than anyone else in the neighborhood. I just stick this in ground--presto they are arguing with a machine. Problem solved.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Ph tester several years ago and throwed it away. A Ph tester only tells you the soils Ph, it doesnt tell you what you need to correct your ph problems. Lime and sulfur are not the only two Ph balanceing materials available. You can have a low Ph and not need lime, you can have a high ph and not need sulfur. I already know my soils around me are acidic, what good is haveing a ph tester to tell me what I already know. What I need to know is my ph low because I need magnesium, or potassium. or calcium, or all three! And just how much of these materials do I need? A soil probe doesnt tell me that so it is worthless to me. If you follow a fertility model and correct the missing elements, your ph will be correct and you dont need a tester to tell you that. The ony way you can replace the missing elements is thru a actual soil test. A ph tester in most peoples hands is only a feel good tool that is used to try and impress someone that knows even less than they do.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use model 694 for ph testing cost is 27 dollars for over 200 tests they have a kit that tests everything below but it costs 650 dollars http://www.orbeco.com/rahmen/products_rahmen.html
    Phosphorus
    Potassium
    Soil Reaction (pH)
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Chlorides
    Nitrates
    Ammonia
    Active Aluminum
    Sulfates
    Nitrite Nitrogen
    Manganese