Soil Sample Test

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DavidR, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I would like to send a sample of my soil away to be tested rather then continuing to throw down chemicals year after year. The only problem is that I have no idea where to send the soil? Where is a place that all of you send your soil to?

2. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

In our state Tn. we can go to the county ext. service office in your county and get a soil sample box to send to UT. Or we have local Farmers coop's that provide that service. Good luck on your lawn.

Here is some info on Lawn establishment, and lawn care.

www.LawnmastersLLPC.com

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I use MDS Harris 621 Rose Street PO BOX 80837 Lincoln Nebraska 68502

4. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

5. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Thanks Newt. Will this Coop Extension analyze my soil? If so that would be great, this place is about a mile from my house.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

They will probably send it to a local lab. The best part is they will also likely make recommendations in simple english telling you what to add to the soil. It helps if you let them know what your trying to grow turf, roses, etc. then they can make specific recommendations. When you take your sample get several small amounts of soil from various ares of the property this way they get a good cross sample of the entire property. If you can't get it to the lab for a few days put it in the refrigerator. Put it in a plastic bag but do not seal it. Thank you for your proactive approach IT IS MONEY WELL SPENT.

7. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

David, you are very welcome! I think Az Gardener answered this for me. :)

Newt

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

or send it here
    http://al-labs-eastern.com/
    These guys are all over the country and have been around a long time. There is one in Richmond
    Use their expertise and ask alot of questions once you get the results back. If they tell you to use lime, use calicitic lime, not dolimitic. Dolimitic lime has a lot of magnesium in it. You want your calicium to magnesium ratio to be 7 to 1. when the ratio gets too much magnesium you start to see compaction issues in the lawn. If you get it to 7 to 1 the soil will really give you some nice turf results