soil sample

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kcameron, Jun 20, 2001.

1. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

I have customer that needs her yard reseeded and I followed everyone's advice and got a soil sample. I now have the results and need some help deciphering what was sent to me. Here goes:
    6lb 8-0-24 or equiv per 1k sqft
    Soil Class: HM%.27
    W/V 1.55
    CEC 1.8
    BS%50.0
    Ac .9
    pH 5.3
    P-I 5.3
    K-I 16
    Ca% 37.0
    Mg% 9.0
    Zn-I 62
    Zn-AI 62
    Cu-I 29
    S-I 37
    Na 0.0

This will be having a centipede/ bermuda mix going down on the yard. She wants a pure centiped eventually. Any recomendations on how to do what needs to be done will be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Who did the test? Your numbers are a little different than the test I get, some of the numbers are WAY LOW or it's measure different! If the CEC is measured in meq/100g of soil and is at 1.8, time to start over! Can you scan and post the test and the scale it is measured on?

Soil Class: HM%.27
    W/V 1.55
    CEC 1.8 No organic matter at all :eek: Bring in top soil and start over!
    BS%50.0
    Ac .9
    pH 5.3
    P-I 5.3
    K-I 16
    Ca% 37.0
    Mg% 9.0
    Zn-I 62
    Zn-AI 62
    Cu-I 29
    S-I 37
    Na 0.0

3. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

I sent the soil sample off to NC State Univ. It was the one done by the state of NC. The yard is a new one and is probably just "fill dirt" done by the original contractor. As for scanning it, I don't have a scanner yet, but those are the numbers sent back to me. And like I said also, this is my first soil sample, so I don't quite know what they all mean and what it takes to rectify the poblems. Thanks, Kevin

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sorry, different labs use different values, I use Lesco and my numbers are nothing like that so I can't help except for the pH which needs a little lime. I'm sure the CEC is low so add organic matter such as mushroom compost or humus. Try a Lesco test and you get good advise also! ;)

Ray

6. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

How long does it take Lesco to turn around the sample? Do they offer advice with the test? What is the cost?

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco samples goto CLC Labs. They charge like $10 I think. Its basically covers their costs. They have to ups it out there, that's gotta be like 5 dollars. I don't know how they do it. And they take about week to a week and half.

8. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

KCAMERON
    DO NOT!! Add lime...the PH is fine for centipede,but not for Burmuda..which the cust. eventually wants to get rid of.
    Lime takes several months to change the soil levels,so don't waste money.
    sorry but that is all I can tell from your test except the fert. app rate which is the first on the list.
    Dennis