Soil Sterilants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jul 2, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've avoided using soil sterilants thus far, but was given a chance to do a big job for a good customer...

What are you guys using, and what seems to give the strongest residual?

And how do you charge? Per square footage? Based on quantity of chem used?

Thanks!

2. nik

nik LawnSite Member

I'd be considering soil type, slop, nearby water sources, foot/vehicle traffic etc. first before looking at what has the longest residual. If you have an area with minimal rainfall most any sterilant will do the job for quite a while. Out here on the wet side of Oregon your talking just a few months at best.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Undeveloped commercial lots, flat. Gravely/Rocky and clay dirt. They DO get driven through to reach a parking lot. Not near water...

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

For that usage, I like 10 lb Krovar DF with 8 oz Oust XP. You have the luxury of not trying to establish bare ground in an area with a 12 month growing season so there is no need to add a lot of post emergent herbicides to this. Normally, I price these jobs based on application time + what I would like to make on materials. It is rare for me to do entire acres in these parts, so I break the per acre fee into 1000 sq ft blocks, with a 1000 minimum. The last job I did was about 15,000 with Arsenal, Karmex and Tordon 22K. This was an area overgrown with brush and vines. I charged $60 per 1000 with a 12 month regrowth warranty. I know there will be some breakthrough and resistant weeds, so I price accordingly otherwise I lose money honoring my warranty.

5. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

When I used to work for Lesco years ago, we sold alot of Sahara. It was an excellent product. It was not to move in the soil once applied. Make sure not to spray near any trees. Or dont spray around the base of a tree. One customer did that ( he thought he was spraying Round up) and killed the tree.

Hope this helps.:usflag:

6. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

I'll second krovar/oust, expensive but well worth the results.

7. nik

nik LawnSite Member

Can't argue with those suggestions. IF those lots are upwind of agricultural fields you would want to ditch the oust or any like compounds. BLM Ousted some of their checkerboard lands in Idaho 5 years or so ago and the winds sent the Oust infused dust into the tater fields. DuPont and BLM bought lots of taters that year.

You might even get away with just diuron (part of Krovar DF). But tnen again bromacil is a good ingredient to have.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I've had good luck with Surflan but some people don't like the yellow dye. For me it makes it easier to see what I've sprayed and what I missed. The dye fades quickly in the sun.

9. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

where are you getting the Surflan?

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

United Agri Products