Soil Structure

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Mar 23, 2011.

1. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

What equipment are you using to dethatch it with. I know if it is a real heavy layer of thatch, then I'd be looking at closer to $100 for that area including clean up, plus aeration/overseeding. Probably about a $250 job for me.
  2. ParadiseLS

ParadiseLS LawnSite Member

my bad, my average lawn is under 1000 sq. ft (welcome to suburbia). but i have several at about 1500 sq. ft. and used that as a basis for my calculations. then i decided to double it just to make it a round number at 3000 and didn't extrapolate my prices.

so, 3000 sq. ft.

it's harder for me to keep narrow price ranges when lawns get to 3000sq. ft. just because so many variables come into play....

but let's say they get the combo:

i'd probably charge $160 for standard conditions.

it would take me about 1.5 hours

if i really wanted to make money (and i would), i would pimp some granulated compost, and maybe some gluten to stop dandelions and stuff from moving in until the turf thickens up and becomes lush.

in that case: $285 in my pocket
    less about $80 for CGM and compost
    less about $5 for fuel

that's better than $100 per hour, and the customer's lawn is going to look good in 7-10 days in good Spring conditions, maybe 14 days or a bit longer if it's mid-summer and they have to irrigate and contend with dry, hot weather.
  3. ecoguy

ecoguy LawnSite Member
    from Duncan

I was thinking the exact same thing JD. For 3000 sf I would be charging upwards of $400. But then again, I take a TON off. Several truck and trailer loads. Better to do it right the first time.....
  4. jegoodri

jegoodri LawnSite Member

You all ae great very interesting conversation. Thanks!