1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Soil Temp Site

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Runner, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone know where I can get information on current soil temps (other than out my back door with a thermometer)? I looked all over google using terms like "Michigan current soil temps", and couldn't find anything. I tried using Michigan State U for it also, but to no avail. If anyone has a site that would perhaps keep reasonably up to date data like this (even better at different depths), that would be cool. Thanks ahead of time.:weightlifter:
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,...that was the first one i saw...But then no way to see an update of it. Jeez,...you would think that SOMEone like a university would have a page for this.
  4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I use gddtracker.net and wunderground.com (Weather Underground) but neither one has soil temps. I spot check it myself when I want to know. Right now I have some turf covers out so I check the temperature difference underneath and outside them a couple times a week.

Michigan Automated Weather Network has soil temperature information.

Go to http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/mawn/
    -then click on a reporting station on the map
    -Under "Pregenerated Data Reports" click on either of these:
    -hourly data, then look in soil temp column for extensive (hourly) data for most recent 3 days. It says Temp is taken at 2" depth on bare soil.
    -or click on daily data for soil temp high-low measurements for current and previous month
  5. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Foreplease--very helpful--thanks MAWN.

Ground truth data. I used a soil thermometer at about 2 depth today (Nov 2, 2009)under grass--got a temp of about 48 degrees.

I also talked to a local supplier and seed expert. He is not a believer in "dormant seeding" . Suggested wait until spring.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, guys! :weightlifter: