soil temp tester/ ph tester

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shady Brook, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am looking to start aquireing some tools, and want to get something accurate, and yet not break the bank.

Could I get suggestions on some tools such as Temp testers, ph testers, if there is any value in soil sampling kits, and where to purchase some of these items?

I see temp gauges that look little different then my wife's food thermometer. How much should I look to spend for a decent one?

The PH testers have quite a range in price, and I imagine there is a reason. Is there certain companies that make reliable ones, how much should I look to spend, and do you studs use them?

Any reccomendations on other tools, such as soil sample tools, humidity, or soil moisture gauges?

I have found a few sources that have some or all of these, but just don't know the quality of products, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jay

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

"do you studs use them?"

Jay, though I dont consider myself a stud, I do use a unit from Ben Meadows Company called Kelway Soil Acidity and Moisture Meter.

Seems quite accurate

Cost $100

www.benmeadows.com
    enter item # 3JB-221175

good luck

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Although I do not use a Ph tester, I do rely heavily on my emoscope and soil thermometer. The emoscope cost me @$175 and the thermometer @$75. Money well spent!!!
    Both available from Ben Meadows.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

What is an emoscope? I have a ph tester ( gemplers) but have not used it yet.

Mark

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a Kelway PH / Moisture meter..Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I bought a small soil test kit from Gemplers a couple of years ago, I think I've used it 3 times.....Takes too much time! :rolleyes:

The PH meter is the way to go, then just send off a sample to the extension office.
    ;)

6. MacKenzie

MacKenzie LawnSite Member

Ditto on the Kelway Meter -

I got one a few weeks ago for $99.00 A bit pricy but it is a nursery grade meant to be used daily and seems to be a good quality tester. I was afraid of those $15.00 specials at the local garden center.

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks fellas

I am in for one of the Kelway soil testers, that looks like quite a nice tool.

What do you guys use emoscopes for? Is it to look at damaged plant tissue, disease, or other things. Looks like an interesting tool.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Jay

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a small Radio Shack hand held Micro Scope, but misplaced it somewhere... maybe it'll show up sometime. :rolleyes:

I think it only cost 15 - 20 dollars.

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Shady Brook, you are correct. This is what I use my emoscope for.
    I also ID grubs from their raster pattern, can ID different nematode injury patterns, and due to the emoscope being portable, take it on to a customer's lawn or a golf green and do a non-invasive exam there.
    With a bit of practice, they become easier to use. However, it does not replace a microscope for fungal pathogen anaylsis on turfgrass.