1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Soil temperature

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnsharkMB, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Myrtle Beach we have had temps in the mid 70's the past two weeks. Soil temps are above 55 degrees. In fact I just stuck an instant read thermometer in the ground, came back 20 mins later and it read 68 degrees. What do you do about preemergent in this situation? Should I have put it out the first week of January?!?!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be nice to have a chart showing different weed seeds and next to each one would be,,,soil temp of germ and the length of time required at that temp for actual germination. Unless its seconds. Then it wouldn't matter. But I bet its not seconds and it does matter and hell, it would also answer this question.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

That's a strange one for me. Im going to get soil temp here tomorrow and see what it is.. usually our January February is the coldest 2 months..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The sun makes the difference in daytime soil temps... the seeds will respond to nite time soil temps...

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you feel you need to do a pre-em then just consider using one with a split application recommendation.

Or, if you can, do two different products with a different AI so your not over-dosing the lawns with one AI in one season.

6. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

What did you find out?
    Posted via Mobile Device