Soil Test: Extension Office vs. Lesco

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tnedator, Mar 29, 2005.

1. tnedator

tnedator LawnSite Member

I want to get my soil tested, before doing any fertilizing this year. In the past, I have just used some of the Scotts home products, twice a year in the front, and once a year in the back (only when we are on vacation and my dogs are staying with a relative).

I was wondering if there is any signifigant difference between what the extension office and Lesco would do. The county extension does it for free, I assume Lesco charges.

There is not a Lesco close (2+ hours away), but I think I will be near one next week so could drop it off if they are going to do a better job providing me with results.

Thanks

Billy

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found the Lesco results to have more information in them. They are also geared towads turf production whereas the extension service is geared towards crops.

3. tnedator

tnedator LawnSite Member

Makes sense about the crops. The extension office told me it was free, because it was underwritten from grants from the soybean industry, or something like that, and that the consumer tests wind up being paid for by the soybean grants.

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

our extension office only tests for ph, I contacted lesco last week for a more in depth test and was told not to waste my money they send it to Ohio I think and the guy told me it takes 3 weeks the ext takes one day. I was also told every test that the lesco in my area has sent out has basically been the same results high phosphorous and low potasium. If you have any problems the extension will advise you on steps to take to fix it.

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

7. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I have mine tested through Lesco each year. Great amount of information for only $8.00. You mentioned you're going to be near a Lesco branch, why not drop off your samples, then have them fax your results to you. Just a thought.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

According to the information that I see, the soil test performed by the extension service of U of A includes testing for phosphorous, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, copper and zinc. Nitrate-nitrogen and sulfate-sulfur are also there as well as salinity and of course the pH.

At any rate... it sounds as if you have a couple of decent options, if not more.

9. zd21man

zd21man LawnSite Member
    from nc

lesco might want to sell some fertlizer.The county ext is not selling anything so i think you might get a honest anwser there.

10. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I just called my local Lesco and they do the soil testing for $16.10.