SOIL TEST...for the pro's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mdlwn1, Nov 15, 2007.

1. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have recently taken on a large property that has numerous issues and I am now finally getting around to the turf. Do you any of you have direct experience with what effect different levels of the micro,s will have on the visual quality of turf? I took samples from the 4 main areas, with sample 1 being used as a control (perfect Kb..needs very little fert to stay green..doesnt get ANY visible fungus during the most humid of weather). Please ignore the Phos and Iron as that was recently done by the previous lawn guy and the lawn problems exsisted prior to the application. The only thing i really see being different among the samples is zinc, copper, and manganese. Ph issuses have been addressed recently (after the samples were taken) I have Kb, rye, Tf, and FF.

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      File size:
      382.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.pdf
      File size:
      382.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.pdf
      File size:
      382.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.pdf
      File size:
      384.7 KB
      Views:
  2. osuturfman

osuturfman LawnSite Member

3. mdlwn1

Thanks for the link. I have a good general understanding of turfgrass theory. I guess I was more looking for someone with direct experiance who could say........too much zinc will do this....or too much copper will do that......Does this book directly address these concerns?

4. What soil depth was the sample taken at?

Did they give you any recommendations?

5. mdlwn1

Sample was taken from 2-4 inches. Recomendation was for a little potassium and some manganese. Does anyone know how parts per million equate to lbs per acre?

6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

ppm = 2 (#/A)

7. mdlwn1

ppm= 2 lbs/acre........I don't understand........if I have 50 ppm, how many lbs/acre do I have? If Juan has 7 beans and he gives 3...........................lol

8. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

It might be easier to understand if you put a "1" in front of the ppm.

1 ppm = 2 lbs. per acre. Multiply your ppm by 2 to get a approximation of lbs. per acre. Therefore, 50ppm = 100lbs. per acre.

Usually these values indicates "available" (to crop)nutrients, not total soil nutrients. Each lab uses it's preferred test method (regional) that correlates it's test results to the plant's/crop's needs based on research results (sometimes an educated guess).

The 1 ppm = 2 lbs. per acre comes from a very general "rule of thumb" that a 6 2/3 inch deep layer of "average" mineral soil of one acre size weighs approximately 2 million pounds. Most soil test forms ask for sampling/plowed depth and I believe they adjust their recommendations based on this info. Some farmers plow their fields 9 inches deep. Lawns and no-till systems usually are calculated for about 3 inches deep +/-.

9. mdlwn1

Thanks very much for the explanation.