Soil Test Opportunities?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Nate'sLawnCare, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to some customer properties to collect soil samples a few days ago. While at one home, I looked over at the neighbor's yard that we do not regularly service, just some cleanups and shrub trimming, and had a thought. I knocked on the door and asked if they wanted me to take a soil sample from their yard. I said that it wouldn't cost them anything and I would give them the result in about a month, explaining the benefits of knowing your soil composition. The lady said it was very thoughtful and to go ahead. I figured it might be an avenue to future fert and squirt opportunities. NC State University does the tests for free, so all it costs me is the postage to get it there.

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea at first but what if you just tried to sell them on your service and tell them the first step is a free soil analysis? Then you would know if they may be serious before you start sending a bunch of soil samples and wasting time on dead ends. Just a thought. Plus what happens when you start sending several samples? Will the state still do it free?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Why not, if it could lead to a sale, but of course they already know you from past work--so if they were going to begin regular service they could have agreed to it last year.

4. Nate'sLawnCare

I was essentially trying to win their confidence by giving them a tool to use when someone tries to tell them "you need lots of lime around here". The old timers just put down a bunch of lime and whatever fertilizer suits their fancy at the time. If we can show them our sincerety about making their yard as healthy as possible while saving them money, we may be able to gain the mowing, trimming, cleanups, fert and chemical apps on a full time basis. I figured since I was right there, what's a few extra minutes to take a soil sample? It's not something I intend to use on a large scale, but it seemed like a good opportunity in this case. Just wondered if anyone had gained business by doing something similar.

5. Nate'sLawnCare

Well, the lady told us today she wants us to start servicing her yard, as in mowing, cleanups, fert, weed control, etc. :)

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Good Idea... :)

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Nate. You can drop them off at the local extension office and they will deliver them to Raleigh. That's what I do here in Wilson, but not sure if it would be faster to just mail them. .