1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Soil Test ph Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwc, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lawn I did a soil test on because it looks sick and will not thicken. The grass is tiff.

The ph is 7.6 and the lab recommended Sulfur to lower the ph into the 6 range. The question I am having is the Sulfur concentration is already 148ppm which is very high considering optimal is 20-40.
    Is it just that the S is bound up in the soil and not being converted to sulfate and used or what do you think is going on? It seems adding more S would for sure put the S way off the chart.
    P and K are low which I will add a good fertilizer to up these. CEC was 14.8%. Boron and copper are low and iron is high which I am sure is bound up in the soil, everything else is normal.

Thanks! :usflag:
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Follow the labs recomendation on the amount of S needed.

You may have "Free Lime" in the Soil, which will limit the Solubility of Sulfate, which the turf needs.

Also do you use Ammonical Nitrogen Based Fertilizers....Ex. Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0?

Also if Fe is High, you should get your Mn levels up to at least 1/2 of what the Fe is.

You could use Mn Sulfate for this.....Just watch those sidewalks and Cement Driveways.