Soil test price

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by coxslawncare, Jun 13, 2005.

1. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

I have a new customer who is having probolems with her new lawn. Last spring she had her sod put in. It started very think and green this year her old lawn guy fertilized and then let the grass get up to about 6 inches and then cut it down to about 1.5 inches according to her. thats when she fired him. Now ive got a brown yard to cut and an unhappy customer to try to please. (shes not unhappy with me) I am thinking she may have a watering problem but also the cut from 6 inches down to 1.5 has me wondering also. But anyways I am going by tomorrow morning to pick up a few soil samples and was wondering what you guys charge for a soil test. I believe the county charges 10 dollars and the building is about 10 minutes from her house. I was thinking 25-30. just wondering if I am off or not1

2. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

if it only costs that why ya worring jethrull just do it.
    get a microwave oven do it ya self.

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $55.00 for pulling a soil sample for analysis.
    Then add postage and any package fees/costs.
    When in doubt, simply charge the normal hourly rate you would for any type of labor service.

4. coxslawncare

Just wanted to check. Never had to do a soil test before so I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt going to be giving her a rediculous price for doing it.

5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $28.00 for my fertilization clients.

David

6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $25 to cover the time and drive to the local extension office. They will test the soil for free. Thats if its a regular customer.

7. coxslawncare

Here you have to send a sample to Va Tech. 7 for the sample plus shipping.total was 11

8. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

the reason the lawn turned brown is because he cut it down to 1.5 inches. you only want to remove 1/3 of the blade per mowing. max. mowing it from 6 inches down to 1.5 will do it in a heart beat.