1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

soil test results

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ethany, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ethany

ethany LawnSite Member

I live in NJ and had my soil tested by Rutgers University. Here are my results:

Ph: 6.85
    Phosphorous: 144 (All lbs/acre)
    Potassium: 252
    Magnesium: 210
    Calcium: 2857

Micronutrients (parts per million)
    Zinc: 10.66
    Copper: 3.7
    Manganese: 19.94
    Boron: 1.22
    Iron: 185.5

I am having a hard time getting in touch with my local extension office to explain my results to me and give a more detail plan on my lawn maintenance.

In your opinion what kind of fert. program should I use? I am assuming the Ph is within range.

Any help would be Appreciated.

2. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

never had a soil test from rutgers, but psu, when they give the results they show how your phos and potass rank in terms of below normal normal or above normal. They then give you reccommended fertilizer apps.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ethany,
    PH is fine, Phos is very high, potash is high. You need mainly nitrogen. The best way to supply it is a nitrogen high in slow release. 50 percent slow release product... 4 times per year is about right.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/soiltestinglab/results.asp

Note .... you do not need to maintain optimum levels of nutrients. These numbers are general approximations, and should be treated as such.

5. ethany

ethany LawnSite Member

I have. some 46-0-0 left over from last fall. Can I use that? Also when do you recommend I apply?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious how you made this determination without knowing soil type and properties (ex. CEC), organic matter content, management practices, total soil N, etc.....

Ethany ... did you post all the information from the soil test, or just select parts?

7. ethany

ethany LawnSite Member

I posted all of the results. There recommendations was not to apply anything for Ph. They did mention to use 1-0-1 fert. How do those numbers correspond to a bag of commercial fertilizer you buy at the store?

They also said as far as the micronutrients go, they listed each one and stated "does not appear to be a limiting factor.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The same as you see on the bag ..... N-P-K

As noted above, without more information about your site, soil, turf type, etc..., it is difficult, if not impossible, to give anything close to a good recommendation. The soil test shows you are doing pretty good with most of your major nutrients (Mg outstanding), but there are no other tests or information provided to give an informed recommendation. If you feel you need to stay with synthetic ferts, then riggle's recommendation to use a slow release source of N is spot on. That said, how much and how often simple cannot be determined with the information provided.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is there something wrong with the lawn?

If not, leave it alone.

10. ethany

ethany LawnSite Member

The site is partial sun (early morning) and the grass is 90% tttf, remainder is KBG and rye blend. The lawn was renovated last fall, total renovation, it was recommended by a local landscaper because it was being taken over by weeds and a lot of undesirable grass.

The soil type is mostly clay and it does not drain very well. It's the front lawn,about 5k sqft.