Soil test results

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Above Par Lawns, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my first soil test results back! how exciting! the first pic ill post is the result from my front yards soil. the second is of a new customer of mine. Turns out I have very high Phosphorus and Potassium levels in my soil. I bought my house last year and haven't applied any fertilizer to it yet. Now it's time to start developing a game plan for this year! I just got licensed and am so ready for Spring!

image.jpg

2. Above Par Lawns

Here is my new customers result.

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion on the customer's lawn, phos is not deficient until below 20. Additional phos will not have any positive effect on turfgrass in this soil. Phosphorus is outlawed in some states due to the detrimental effects if it gets into surface water of lakes and sreams. If you were growing flowers, vegetables or corn--then yes--the phos is needed.
    A regular feeding of nitrogen--with about 50 percent of the nitrogen in slow release form is all you really need, (along with water and regular mowing).

4. Above Par Lawns

He lives right by a lake too. Maybe his previous company wasnt putting it down because of that?

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Most grasses do not need Phosphorus as Riggs said. Adding Ammonium Sulfate as your Nitrogen source would benefit and help keep your pH low to help with any forthcoming fungi. However, I've never seen a slow release ammonium sulfate. Everything else is great. Those reports are oftentimes made by clerks who have only a standard recommendation without field experience. Knowing why and what to add is generally a learned trait.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There is plenty of P bound up in every soil around the globe... in most cases the AMFungi is adequate to provide available P for grasses... I agree with previous posts that Flowers may need additional P, but grasses will be fine with adequate N...

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

is no one gonna comment on the levels of Ca compared to Mg?

8. Above Par Lawns

Please do.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Your CEC is good. (Cation Exchange Capacity). Anything over 12 is considered adequate--mine at my house is about 12, sandy infertile soil.
    Sulfur coat, poly coat, Or MESA slow release is a good idea. 50 percent of the nitrogen as slow release is good, 70 percent is better. You can use a "bridge" product that combines slow release with organic fert if you like.
    You should be in good shape if you are growing a grass suited to your climate, and a top variety that is disease resistant. Irrigation helpful. Tall fescue is your likely choice. More experienced people can help you there, but tall fescue can get brown patch disease if fertilized in hot weather.

I don't understand about the Calcium Magnesium ratio.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. Above Par Lawns

Both lawns are fescue/blue grass mix and both are irrigated. I had planned on using Fertrells turf pro 5-0-5 after the 2nd mowing on both lawns.