soil test, zoysia, aeration?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by d.m.d., Mar 24, 2007.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i have an older 95% zoysia lawn.it needs some renovation.got my soil test results and they suggested 50#lime/1000ft. and nitrogen in a couple of weeks when its starts to turn green(missouri)its currently still brown)i aerated 2 weeks ago.im one of those guys who wants a good lookin yard.im not happy with it or zoysia for that matter.what can i do to make this zoysia take of this year???????????

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia is never going to look nice in the Spring. Depending on variety, it need soil temps in the 60-70's before it even thinks about coming out of dormancy. The trade off for that is a green lawn in the middle of summer when everyone's bluegrass and fescue looks fried.

I would double check that lime recommendation. Did your analyzer know you were talking about zoysia? Zoysia prefers a slightly acidic soil, and lime will take it the other way. Unless your pH was over 7.5, I would not spread lime.

As I understand aeration, you should do it when your grass is actively growing, so it sounds like you were several weeks too early. I know the feeling, I am looking at my yard, just itching to get the aerator after it, but I am just starting to see some green in it, so I am being patient and waiting.

From what I have read, a balanced fertilizer (12-12-12) is better for zoysia than the high nitrogen ferts that you would use on cool season (fescue/bluegrass) lawns.

If you haven't yet, I would use some pre-emergent on it right now, to control crabgrass. Don't use a weed & feed -- you'll be wasting the feed part if the grass is still dormant. Then aerate again when it gets green, topdress with compost, and fertilize with a balanced fertilizer.

3. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

my ph was 5.7,my recomendation came from the lab at the missouri of university.

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I kinda got the numbers backwards in my post. Higher numbers are more alkaline, lower numbers are more acidic. Zoysia wants slightly acidic soil -- in the 6's. At 5.7, you're not too far off, and the extension boys have given you a recommendation that is near the maximum application rate you could possibly use at one time. I would try half that -- 25 pounds per thousand, along with the other things I mentioned, and then retest in August. Don't get your pH in the 7's -- which I think 50 pounds per thosand might do.

5. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

thanks.there for a minute i was second guessing myself.