soil test

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by a+elawnserviceww, Oct 21, 2005.

1. a+elawnserviceww

a+elawnserviceww LawnSite Member
    from nj

does anyone now were i can get a soil test kit or were i can send soil test sample to get test please let me know. i live in nj if that help

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i believe in nj, you can bring it or mail it to Rutgers University, that's where a member from NJ brought one a few months back.

i was wondering this the other day. but more if, there's a soil test that can be done on the spot, not having to send it out. also, how deep does the sample have to come from. surface, 6", 10"?

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

4. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

N.J. cooperative extension look on the net

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

All the County Cooperative Extension Agencies are affiliated with Rutger's University and can take your soil and send it out to have it tested.
    Here is the link to Rutger's Soil Testing,
    http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/services/
    There really aren't any off the shelf kits that are as thorough and precise as a soil testing lab. If you need to determine soil composition and PH that can be done with simple methods and off the shelf kits. While your looking at Rutger's, check out the professional education classes for landscapers they offer also. Soil is a big part of the information provided.
    http://aesop.rutgers.edu/~ocpe/programs/landscape.html

Kirk

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

How very true. Once went to a seminar and one of the speakers is a world renowned irrigation consultant who does consulting all over the world. His lead statement was something along the order of, "Unless you know what's under your feet you can design the best irrigation system in the world and it still won't grow vibrant turf." :p