Soil testing question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hoagie, Mar 18, 2002.

1. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Soil testing is an absolute must, and I plan on offering it to all of my clients. My question is this: are those do-it-yourself test kits that are available really accurate and reliable? And what do you guys that use them charge your customers for a test? They are aprox. $15 for 10 tests (ph, N-p-k, etc). I was thinking maybe... $20 a test (takes about 20min). Anybody use a third party service, and whats the price/wait time? Thanks fellas- kj

2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We use CLC Labs in Columbus. I think the test is about $6 or $7 for the basic test. We charge $30.00 for each test. This covers the time/labor to pull the test, mail it, review the test, mail a copy to the client and educate them about the test.

We test every two to four years depending on the property and the customer. We take one test for each major lawn area... typically two to three tests per property.

3. Commander

Commander Banned

I just picked up 15 packets for sending out soil samples. They cost me $195 for the 15. I still have to pay for shipping of the packages on top of that. They will test for; P, K, Ca, Mg, Mn, Zn, Fe, NH3-, OM, and a few other things.