1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

soil testing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redclay, Dec 12, 2005.

1. redclay

redclay LawnSite Member
    from GA

thumbing thru catalog and came across soil testing kits (used in nursery/greenhouses). has any one used these? are they accurate? thought they might be useful when customer wants fert./lime/other app. and doesn't want to wait for complete test to come back. anyone had any expeerience? thanks
  2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

The ones that I have tried (10 years ago) gave a very general result and I concluded they were not worth the time an effort. It is easier for me to just pull the samples and send them to the ag college for a good analysis at $10.00 per sample. The customer pays and is impressed with the nice print out they send back.
  3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old home owner version of a test kit in my wharehouse. I am going to send a sample to CLC labs and use the homeowner version on the same soil to test the acuaracy. I'll post what the results are when I get them.
    Great question.
  4. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I rather take the sample and drop it off @ $7.50 doing 50 to 100 a year it would be to much a hassel to do it my self and they(cooperative extension) provide a wider range of results.
  5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Doing your own soil test is nothing but a thumbnail sketch. How will you be able to determine base saturations to know if you should be using dolomit or calcitic lime from a field test? How cna you determine CEC and buffering capacity to judge amount of lime? I soil test every customer every year.

The best lab I have found is ... http://turf.mdsharris.com/
  6. redclay

redclay LawnSite Member
    from GA

thanks for replies. I'm not looking to replace complete test for lawns. I also do erosion control/hydroseeding; thought it might be better than just guessing on what ground might need. We get the "ive got to have something done before it rains " calls more and more.
  7. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Mds harris gives me next day turn around almost everyt ime. Priority mail a box of them for 4 or 5 bucks and I have a full the results in 3 days.

To me -- if you aren't doing the soil test -- your better off not douing one at all. The others are too accurate and you ar emor elikely to hurt the soil than help it!