soil testing????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by instyle, Feb 11, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

how is this done? I have seen post about people saying they do it. Is there some kind of kit to buy?
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes there are kits.
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Kits are worthless unless you have the education to know how to use them.
    Best bet is to go to your county extension service and obtain some sample bags for storeing your samples. Then once you have taken the sample let the extension service send your samples off for testing. The results are usually obtainable online in a few days and usually contain information as to what amendments and in what amounts are needed.

You can also use private testing facilities for your testing. is one

more info,
  4. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

5. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

that item looks like it is cheap. But I realy have no idea, i wonder if that tells you everything you need to know.
  6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

The Lesco store in my area will test soil for $15 or so, I charge the customer a bit more to cover my time. I also bought a sample tool from them which makes it a snap to pull a sample.
  7. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How many samples do you take? Say for a 6,000 sqft yd. Do you take just one from the front and one from the back? Guess it all depends how much you want to spend.
  8. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

You will need to do random samples throughout the yard. For that type of space, maybe 4-6, especially if you have dryer areas, wet areas, etc....
    There is a tool for sampling and you can get it from AM Leonard or where you buy your professional tools. It will take a plug out of the ground that is about 8-12" long. This is also good to see if you have any big changes in the type of soil. Definitely go to your local extension for more info and test.
  9. Ollie3

Ollie3 LawnSite Member

I'm taking Turf Management at Clemson and when I graduate I'll be able to offer this service to my customers.

10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Your local extension office or Agriculture Dept can probably help with soil tests. Maybe even your local college or university!