Soil Testing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chris638, Dec 27, 2007.

1. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many people conduct their own soil testing? If you do it yourself, what kind of equipment do you use and when can I get it? If you send it out, where to and how much?
    Thanks

2. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Go by your local county extension office. They can help you out. I go by mine once a year or so to get the soil sample bags they provide along with the instructions on how to get the sample, where to send it and the fee.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Chris
    Good question, I think you have to break it down to what is feasable and cost effective to do yourself. You will also need to define what tests are really pertinant to your area and soil types.

PH test, ok fairly cheap to do yourself a little time consuming

micronutrients, I think you have to send this one out many variables

If you are doing organic lawn care you would get a bio-assay of bacteria, fungi, protozoa, nematode counts. Unless you are trained and have a really good microscope you have to send this one out too

What other tests are there? Alkalinity, acidity, macronutrients

4. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

The main things I would like to know about the soil when testing is the Ph, Soil Texture and Micro and Macro nutrient levels. I'll try the Extension office and see what they have to say. Thanks for the info.

5. Evolving

Evolving LawnSite Member

Has the Extension office helped you at all?