1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Soil testing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Indy Kyle, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Where do you find a good soil test kit and PH tester? I know Lowe's has them but they don't seem accurate enough.
  2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

3. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

Thanks for asking this, I was wondering myself, and thanks for the info.
  4. Indy Kyle

cool, thanks.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Soil test can only be accurately performed by a soil testing lab. $20 or $200 testers will not give you accurate soil analysis. The PH testers will get you close, if that's all you need, but you will not get nutrient levels or organic materials levels without a soil test lab analysis.

6. Indy Kyle

Do most of you guys just send it to a lab? How do I find out how to do that in Indiana?
  7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Your county extension agent should have test kits available, or Lesco is a good source and there are many labs throughout the country.

Start here for some additional Indiana approved labs.

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I missing something. I don't see anything of real value other than the Ph level. The rest is for water it seems. I'll stick to the $20 Ferry Ellis Seed Co. Electronic tester before "buying a Playstation 3 just to watch Blueray".

Besides, do you really run into lawns that need serious testing that often? I know we don't here in Ohio. As long as your between 3-6 on the Ph meter, you can assume all's well in the soil.

For a full renovation project, I must suggest the old-fashioned approach in sending it to your DOA for testing. Their results are quite specific and you will not get the suggestions from an on-site testing kit.
  9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

A soil test sent to a lab is much more reliable than a do it yourself kit. They cost about $15. In most cases lawns don't really need to be tested. They always need nitrogen, sometimes potassium, and rarely phosphorous.
  10. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

What's growing in Ohio in soil with a pH of 3?