soil testing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Want to start adding soil testing (ph and nutrient both) to my list of add ons. You guys that do this on your own, do you use the kits or do you use a meter for the ph testing? I assume most will use the kits for the nutrients. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Schlep

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally order kits that I do myself. I have compared my soil tests to the county lab and they came out exactly the same, so I know that the kits work great.

There are three ways for telling whether a lawn is lacking in the 16 macro and micro nutrients; visual observation, soil testing, and tissue testing.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have considered the test kits you can buy but have always just stuck with sending it off to be tested. I will have to give this a try.

Gravely_Man

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

there are many kits available on the market ranging in prices. Pick a middle of the road kit price wise and read the directions and you should do fine. I dont do soil testing on my customers lawns, but i have had extensive amounts of lecture time at college about soil testing and have practiced many times with many kits.

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a PH tester but it is still in case. This spring?

Mark

6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use lesco to do mine .They charge me 12.00 in return i charge the client 25.00 (that insists of getting the sample an dropping it by lesco)

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We do it ourselves at no charge to the customer with a decent test kit. No big deal for us and the customer likes getting something for free once in a while.

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Kit info if you please. Website if they have it. :)

9. dreamertex

dreamertex LawnSite Member

I ordered a test kit this last fall from "Science Kit & Boreal Laboratories". Complete test kit for ph and nutrients, test takes less than 5 minutes to give results and cost is at a minimum. Less than $2.00 each. Order online at < www.sciencekit.com >.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go through the Gemplers catalog, they have quite the selection of soil testing kits. I am not sure how they are on prices, but looking at their wide selection you gain some knowledge of what the kits have to offer and how much they cost. If you don't have their catalog, just go to their website and request one. You will get it in the mail within a few days.

MATT