soil testing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE, Jan 15, 2001.

1. G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE LawnSite Member

I recived a catalog from GEMPLERS,That i sent for after seeing it on the this board , Thay offer soil testing kits ,and was wondering if any one out there does there own soil tests? Or do you send the to a lab?. These kits run in price range from $ 38.00 - $325.00. There web site is http://www.gemplers.com thank you. scott from G & S PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPING SERVICE.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Soil testing kits have been around for a long time. To most in the business, it is better to have a soil test done by state or private laboratories. Keeping the kits stocked with necessary chemicals is a chore, and you must practice to become familiar with different test procedures. Better to trust a lab that does the testing repeatedly.

If you wish to make some tests on site, I have found a Kelway soil ph tester to be useful. All my results of the Kelway were within +/-0.2 of lab results, and most were closer. Kelway will also give soil moisture readings. There are also other electronic testers for individual items.

Overall the lab testing is better; don't tie up your time in trying to be a chemist also. Good luck.

3. jay

jay LawnSite Member

How many of you actually take soil test at all your sites. Where I'm at they charge about $80 to perform a soil test at the lab I really havn't had a site that was willing to do this. Do you just mostly take ph test or complete soil test on your acounts?

4. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I called the other day and Lesco charges about $10 to do a soil test. The one bad thing is it takes about 2 weeks to get the results.

5. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

You can send a test through the local extension service for about $4.00 or $8.00 (I can't remember which) in GA.