1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Soild Compaction Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Reel_Green, May 17, 2002.

1. Reel_Green

Reel_Green LawnSite Member

A new neighbor recently moved into their home. They have a mature zoysia lawn. Unfortunately the moving truck drove through their yard and created soil compaction areas.

You can literally see the indentation of the tire tracks. They's approximately 1 - 1.5 inches deep.

Any idea how to solve this problem? Someone suggested spreading a 70% to 30% (sant to top-soil mixture) in the compressed areas. Any other ideas?
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I have done a few lawn repair due to truck driving over it. I uses all top soil and fill the ruts about an inch above the normal ground level so that way it leave room for compaction (from nature and man) after reseeding it. If you just fill it to the ground level, there are going to be quite some bumping when you run over it after it get compacted.

DON'T USE SAND! To provide a good grass growth it needs at least 2-3" of loosen top soil, and I would like to have at least 6" of top soil where the grass is growing, to provide a nice and healthy lawn.
  3. Reel_Green

Reel_Green LawnSite Member

Ideally I'd like to able to salvage the existing zoysia in the compacted areas.

I'd prefer to core aeriate the area, then spread a 1 inch layer of sand/topsoil in the compacted area. This wouldn't cover the existing zoysia and would allow the new growth to occur in the new soil/sand mixture.

Am I way off base with my thinking?
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Zoysia lawn? Never heard about it before. Exactly what is it?
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

POS grass.........I can't stand it.

Centipede rules!