1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solar Clock.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Oct 31, 2007.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I remember a thread a while back where I mentioned I had this little toy, well had to set it up today and thought I'd post some pics incase anyone else wants to build one... please note this is DIRTY not a pretty installation like I'd expect from people who work for me, i just hook the wires up till the permanent one is there oh and the only reason I use the toro clock here is the gent who built it for me said they used less power- which being that the display, options and controller all around sucks makes sense to me.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

That looks a lot better than running 110 out there.
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't they still make solar panels to fit an Irritrol IBOC? That would have probably been my first choice.
  4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What? Besides teaching ROTAR to lay pipe your going to learn 'um how to
    lay brick?:laugh:
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

He can use his special shovel to mix mortar.
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Irritrol? what is this Irritrol? the 110 will come eventually, you must remember these tract builders sometimes take 3months to get power hookups, but want the landscape in before the first house is. the customer is always right, even when they're not
  8. So to expand on what Brandon has done here. The post and solar setup is moveable. Only temporary. He doesn't have to install latching solenoids to use a battery operated timer. When the power comes he just removes the current setup. Install a decent clock. Wires it in and it's done. Rotar is a lucky guy to get the benefit of Brandon's company's expertise. Did I miss something Brandon?
  9. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta say that I can appreciate the ingenuity to get a setup like that working. Definitely something to file away in the back of the mind in case I ever need such a setup.
  10. carltip

carltip LawnSite Member

I need one of these bad, tell me more about the components. Battery, inverter, solar panel, any info is greatly appreciated. Got a couple of sports fields at some intermediate schools with no power. i'm looking at a bunch of tbos or a solar set up that I can use again and again.