Solar Farm Mowing ... Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desii, Jul 26, 2012.

1. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Lots of good input, but I don't think we have a winner yet. This is close to 100 acres and mulching is not an option. I have included a pic for everyone to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Like I said, there is only about 16" to 20" (max) of clearance at the lowest point of the fixed angle panel and I need to get back under the panel about 3 feet or so. I haven't found a rotary mower with that kind of clearance, height wise. Not to mention that the soil is not perfectly level and any little bump could throw it up into the panel.

The only thing that I have been able to come up with is a sickle bar mower (very old school) on the back of a tractor and a rear discharge belly mower underneath. This would allow one pass and cover most of the area.

Down the middle is the easy part. It's getting under the panels, especially the lower side, that's tricky. Not to mention the wires that connect each panel to the next. You can see them if you look closely. They are dangling just enough to be a pain.

Take a look at the pic and see if you can suggest something else that may work.

Solar Panels Lawnsite.jpg
  2. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

That's intense... nearly 100 acres of that?
  3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

The problem with a rear discharge mower is that the discharge doesn't just come straight out the rear of the comes out at a lot of different angles.
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Mow the middles with a rear discharge zero turn, get the rest with roundup and soil sterilant. That's the only feasible way I would see to do it.
  5. nolatoolguy

nolatoolguy LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

6. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

have 1 guy on a stand on or wb to do under everything and one guy on the z-turn or other stand on to do the rest.. or just cit sprinkler lines so the grass dries up and dump roundup all over the place
  7. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

100 acres of that! Looks like the solar farm just needs to put a person or 2 on payroll to maintain that! Unless they got the money to pay (make it profitable) for a LCO. To much of an obstacle course. Does look like alot of liability there for LCO!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

somewhere on the internet (i can't find it) there is a video of a very powerful) walk behind tractor that has a sickel mower attachment on it. this guy was cutting hay with probably a 15' bar and was just flying. it is blue and has metal wheels, I actually saw the units at GIE expo but can't remember the name. this would be a great spot for one of those
  9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

also a few of the radio controlled mowers that are being marketed on LS would be pretty good for getting under those short areas
  10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Good call! I believe the brand on those is BCS.