Solar landscape lights.....any good?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bob E, May 9, 2005.

1. Bob E

Bob E LawnSite Member

I'd like to put up some lights on top of our 4x4 fence posts, obviously it would be easier to use the solar ones.

Does anyone have any experience with the solar landscape lights? Is one brand better than others? What makes a good one?

Most of the places I would put these get at least 6-8 hours of sun a day.

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I bought them to light up my entrance walk. I purchase four. They were horrible. Bought them from Home Depot. They simply don't light up enough. This was 2 years ago.

I purchased inexpensive decorative wired ones and they are terrific. In fact they were too bright. I reduce the wattage to 11 watts. They are extremely easy to install.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

IMHO--the solar lights are more to "mark the way" instead of "light the way".

GEO :)

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I did the same thing you want to do. I forgot the style number but there made by Malibu Lights.
    If you have no winter and there in the sun all day, there great. I have a yellow tint to my lights and at night they give a nice glow. I will try to take a pic of them tonight or tomorrow night.
    I bought my lights at a discount store and they work great even with a very cold and snowy winter.
    John

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well there are two complaints about solar lighting in the garden \
    #1-is they are not bright enough
    #2-is they don't work unless recharged by the sun .So of coarse in winter it can be a problem if depending on them to help guide Gramma out to the car late X-Mas eve.

I have found that a few wired ones installed to light the walkway and porch steps are safer than solar,but puttin in solar is great for accent lighting,and lighting installed with the purpose of being purely visual for the garden at night,
    I have also found that the more you spend on a really good solar light,the better it is.Forget plastic and go for glass,copper,or metal casings with your lights.

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

My ole ladies uncle has some solar lights that use LEDs. They work pretty good but he has them about 2'-2.5' apart from each other. I hate the orange look many of them have. Gives it that battery almost dead look. The LED lights have a nice blue light to them.

7. andygold

andygold LawnSite Member

I bought a set of 10 white-LED lights from Sam's Club about a year and a half ago, and they still work great. Price was $99.00 for the 10 lights, along with short poles(maybe 10"), screw bases, and ground spikes. I have them on the railings of my pool deck. The solar cells got covered by snow for days at a time during the winter, and when the snow melted, they charged back up and worked great.

I too feel that they are more of a "mood light", than anything that will light your path, but they are bright enough to read by if you stand reaaaaaaaly close. For on top of a fence, I'm assuming mood lighting is what you are looking for, and these work great. When I got mine, Sam's was definitely the cheapest place to get them, and I believe they have them again this year for the same price.

8. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

I am a manufacturer of outdoor lighting. Please check our website: www.frog-lights.com. The solar employ only one or two LED's and they are too dim.
    Noel
    Frog Lights, LLC

9. Bob E

Bob E LawnSite Member

So, how would you go about routing the low voltage wires throgh a 5' tall 4x4?

I really can't run them up teh outside with a 2 yr old lab that loves to chew.

10. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Don't know, that sounds like a tough install. I recommend you go buy a single solar light from HD or Lowes and check out the shtty quality.