solar powered vs. electrical

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Nov 22, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anyone use solar lights ? how are they vs. electric

2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Solar powered lights are horrible! You can barely see them at night.

Electric is definitely the way to go. Also i wouldn't go any lower than 7 watts, and for spotlights i wouldn't go any lower than 10 watts. :nono: :)

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I LOVE my solar lights. I don't care for the bright white yard lights. Mine were easy to install, and they are going on two years old. Bought 12 for my front yard, and all are still working. I tried a solar spotlight, not near enough power.

4. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I think ElephantNest brings up a good point. I also have solar lights surrounding the landscape in our yard. It doesn't put out the bright white light but it accents our landscape greatly. I think the brightness depends what areas or landscape youre trying to use it with. If a customer has water features in their yard would the high glow electric look best or would the solar low glow or shimmering look the best. Guess its all in the eye of the beholder.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

BG...I;ve bought them at customers request more times than I can count. Also bought some of them to shine down on my deck floor.....they suck frankly....they throw almost no light down. All but one customer had me return them for a refund. If you want them just to line a sidewalk for "the look" of it, they're ok,,,,but if you want them for a spotlight, flood light, and deck light...dont waste your time buying and installing them....

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Solar sucks a big one. If you get the right electrical lighting and use the right wattage you can make any landscape accented beautifully. A mixture of spotlights on larger tree trunks and in the middle of taller growing shrubs with softer accents along a walkway spaced out farther than normal does wonders. With the amount of different lighting fixtures on the market these days, you dont have to have that ordinary bright white runway light.

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Solar lights are like the marker lights on the roof of your truck. They do a good job of letting you know they're there but they provide no light whatsoever. Actually the lights on your truck provide a little more light than the solar.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever see someone install 12v lighting around a circular driveway every 12" apart? It looks stupid ,like an airport runway,and on top of that,many were leaning over. To be fair,a homeowner did it .I just shake my head every time I drive by that house.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Solar is horrible. I agree with everyone else about how they will only give you the runway look along the drive or sidewalk. They will not accent the landscape the way aproperly installed 12 volt system will.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Um, they are saying the 12v look look runway lights. With mine, I'm not trying to light the place up, they are called ACCENT lights, which accent the landscape, not brighten it to daytime. Some houses look better with bright whites, not mine. I like the low glow, look great here, and I've gotten many compliments on them.

Different lights for different properties.