Solar Technology

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I know the new trend is toward LED, but I wonder why solar technology has not been studied and improved upon more. As some of you know, I've got a big Home & Patio show going on right now and it amazes me how many people inquire if the lighting is "solar." Every show, I actually get tired of answering this question. It seems that there is a great deal of interest in solar lighting, and I know it would put a big dent in all of our businesses. It just makes me wonder why these lighting manufacturers haven't put forth as much effort in developing quality solar equipment as they have with LED? Anyone got any knowledge on the subject (other than solar is just junk)?

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I can only assume solar is in the top of everyones mind because the box stores have done such a wonderful job of pimping their ***** to the whole nation, and have everyone brainwashed and believing she is the perfect girl for them. (sorry for the calus analogy)
    Plain and simple it is pure junk and is innefective, but popular because:
    1. It is DIY friendly (even for the mentally challenged)
    2. No wires to bury (lazy americans)
    3. Relatively innexpensive (not hard to see why)
    4. Minimal choices of fixtures (too many would cause confusion, and then they would have to hire someone to show where to place them)
    5. Easily moved around (since they don't know where to place them anyway)
    6. All the other neighbors have them they must be good (Quoting the Bible here: "if the blind follow the blind, they will both fall into the ditch.")
    7. Effective marketing (Americans will buy anything we tell them to if lie to them and tell them it is the best.)
    8. In some areas they just have not seen good, effective lighting (OOOh, so that is what lighting is supposed to look like, I guess I won't have to guide any lost 747s into my driveway and sidewalk anymore. Whew, I was worried what that would do to my garage.)
    Bottom line: (if you hadn't guessed my stance on solar lighting) It is nothing but a tripping hazard since the glowing usually diminishes in 4-5 hours anyway and all you are left with is a stick to bang your shins on while navigating your front walk "in the dark".

To all you box stores: you are shameless marketers of pure garbage. You will sell whatever will turn you a quick buck from the uninformed public. (We in the LV lighting industry are fed up with it and are going to change the way people in this country think about proper lighting, one city at a time)

3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Cmon Tim don't hold back...tell us how you really feel about it! :)
    Seriously that was good stuff!
    Chris, Good question. I am thinking they have been looking into it but also knowing that with a couple great fixtures it could eliminate the professional installer. No need for transformers, wire, testing voltage, amps, etc....

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I believe they have not perfected transfering the stored energy into constant usable output. Thats the reasoning I have heard being on the manufacturing end.

5. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Batteries used to store the energy produced by solar power are not green enough for Al Gore's followers.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Anything that will take up space on this planet (except for Al Gore of course and his learjet), is not green enough.

7. Chris J

I especially love the uplights that have the 12"x12" panel attached to the fixture to capture the sunlight. This is soooo subtle in the landscape.

8. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Al's place has more than just a couple of lights and they are not solar fixtures, but I think he did put in some panels under the canopy of all the big trees on his place. I hope the SS doesn't come visit me for saying that tomorrow.

9. Chris J

Have you done some work for him Eddie?

10. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

No, I would say it is a OLP job. I need to see if if would like to replace everything with LED's don't you think and trash all those tractor headlights.