Sold Customers On Salt apps sometimes

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, May 3, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have sold some customers on the idea of useing pure salt on some storms and sand/salt on others. These are the requirements of pure salt use.<p>1. Temperatures will rise after the storm.<br>2. No salt used to the storm is over/ sand can be used if traction is a problem.<br>3. If temperatures are predicted to fall over the next few days. and the days are short, ie december. Sand/salt must be used.<p>By useing salt pre wet with mag cloride. This should help in some conditions. I should be able to produce cleaner lots with less replowing. <p>Note these customers are still toying with the idea, but i think i might be running some pure salt next year. With the prewet systems installed i should be ready to rock.<p>Geoff

2. Alan

Alan Member

Geoff, you are probably already aware of this, but salting at the first snow will work better than waiting until afterwards. My experience has been that I can apply as an anti-ice and keep pavement bare and on a long storm &quot;usually&quot; eliminate one plowing. Any way you can talk these people into letting you decide the procedure as long as they get bare pavement? In addition, I find that I can apply early and use less slat in total to get back to &quot;bare & black&quot; after the storm.

3. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Oh yea,<p>they want the temp above 28 when the salt is applied.<p>Geoff

4. Alan

Alan Member

My word!! Not asking for much, are they? What sort of temperatures do you usually have involved with substantial snow? Around here it seems the heaviest falls are usually when temp is running mid 20s but the heaviest snow in terms of weight is whenb it is hovering right around 30, like that 14&quot; of wet cement we got last month.

5. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Hey its a start.<p>Next year i will have my own salt storage building, and a sand/salt building. So i might be using pure salt more than they really know.<p>Geoff