Lawn Care Forum banner

Sold my 2004 F-150 for a Diesel

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  stroker51 
#1 ·
Well I sold my 2004 F-150 5.4 4x4 today. I got a good price out of it, but was actually sad to see it go. It has been an awesome truck and has given me no problems whatsoever, except......

TERRIBLE MPG's!

Towing my 16' enclosed is giving me about 8 mpgs. I know its not too terrible, but it hurts getting only 200 miles to a 26 gallon tank. I commute from Gainesville to Jacksonville once a week to take care of half my accounts there and the gas bills hurt, haha.

I know what truck I want, but problem is there are none in Gainesville of Jax. I want a 2005-newer Ford F-250 or F-350 SRW diesel, crew cab, 4x4. I would like to hear anyone's experiences, words of warning, words of praise regarding these trucks who has real world experience with them. I don't want opinions or arguing, just plain facts and observations, because we all know that Chevy's and Dodge's are quite inferior!:laugh:

Any one with a 2005 or newer Superduty diesel, let me hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

#2 ·
6.0= extended warrrenty I say this just because the guy I work that were in is a 06 cc/sb and he has had more problems with that truck than anything For example the one night put the truck away ran perfect all day show up the next morning try to start it not happening the fuel controll modual went out overnight they had I believe 11 codes while scanning it all from the computer. The truck is on the 2nd engine as well all within 56,000 miles dont get me wrong its a great truck when its running properly.

#4 · (Edited)
Get a 06 that is the only year to even consider a 6.0 because with a 05 there is a chance it could have some of the problems the 04's had if it is a early enough production. Stay away from 07 just because you have to run ulsd vs lsd I know mostly everyone has ULSD now but in times of hurricanes its quite possible you will only have the option of LSD. I don't think you would be aware but when Katrina came through they had Off road diesel at all the stations and it was regular sulfur content. What price range and option truck are you looking to buy. I traded my king ranch 06 f350 and got 30k for it with 60k miles trading it in.

I would buy another 06 if I needed to It's never been to the dealer after I bought it except for a oil leak and when I traded it in I got warranty money back as I had miles left on the extended warranty. We had about 1000 f550 with 6.0 where I worked and almost all the 04's and 05's broke down a lot. We finally started getting 06-07's when I left and they were holding up a lot better. They were being used to haul 15k trailers and about 4klbs of wire in the beds. 6 days a week 10 hours a day. My 06 work truck had 1200 hours on the engine but only 10,000 miles so make sure the hours match up to the miles or it idled a lot and that is just like having a lot of miles.

#5 ·
Get a 06 that is the only year to even consider a 6.0 because with a 05 there is a chance it could have some of the problems the 04's had if it is a early enough production. Stay away from 07 just because you have to run ulsd vs lsd I know mostly everyone has ULSD now but in times of hurricanes its quite possible you will only have the option of LSD. I don't think you would be aware but when Katrina came through they had Off road diesel at all the stations and it was regular sulfur content. What price range and option truck are you looking to buy. I traded my king ranch 06 f350 and got 30k for it with 60k miles trading it in.

I would buy another 06 if I needed to It's never been to the dealer after I bought it except for a oil leak and when I traded it in I got warranty money back as I had miles left on the extended warranty. We had about 1000 f550 with 6.0 where I worked and almost all the 04's and 05's broke down a lot. We finally started getting 06-07's when I left and they were holding up a lot better. They were being used to haul 15k trailers and about 4klbs of wire in the beds. 6 days a week 10 hours a day. My 06 work truck had 1200 hours on the engine but only 10,000 miles so make sure the hours match up to the miles or it idled a lot and that is just like having a lot of miles.
06-07 are the exact same engine. Only the 6.4L requires the ULSD. And im surprised you can find LSD. Its impossible to find around here. Every pump is required to be ULSD. Id drive anywhere to find LSD for my 2000.

To the OP: 06-07 are the ones to buy. Much better chance of getting a reliable truck than a 05. Just remember to get a Oasis report when you find one.

#9 ·

I was looking for a 2005 or newer crew cab, 4x4, short bed due to the redesign in '05 with the new frame, updated interior, coil front suspension, and a newer version of the 6.0. After reading some of these reply's, I feel that I should look for a 2006 or newer, which I will start doing. The only diesel that is around here is ULSD so I don't think the sulfur content will affect me. I have experience with the 7.3, but I really want a newer model with the newer chassis, bigger brakes, smoother suspension, 5 speed tranny, etc. Problem is, there are no used trucks here in Gainesville/Jax that fit my budget of $25,000. I see there are a lot in O-town, but I'd rather buy locally for the convenience.

#10 ·
i ran my 6.4 with LSD and had no problems! no matter wht u get make sure it has a warranty
Krayz, I'd love the 2008 or newer 6.4, but I've heard not the best things about the 6.4. I love the way the truck looks and the power and torque, but I don't see many that fit my budget. What I'd really like is the '11 6.7! That thing looks like a monster, but I have quite a few more years of working and building the business before I can justify that kind of money.:cry:

#11 ·
Krayz, I'd love the 2008 or newer 6.4, but I've heard not the best things about the 6.4. I love the way the truck looks and the power and torque, but I don't see many that fit my budget. What I'd really like is the '11 6.7! That thing looks like a monster, but I have quite a few more years of working and building the business before I can justify that kind of money.:cry:
heck they will have the 6.9 out by then... not a nock to you but to ford:drinkup:

#12 ·
Haha, they already had the 6.9 out lol. I was thinking really hard about trading my 01 on an 06 crew cab short bed that a dealer here had. 25k miles 4x4 auto xlt, that i looked at in I think January for $25,500. Saw the same exact identical, SAME TRUCK on the lot the other day for 33k, what the hell? lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.