1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sold out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brickman, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have referred to this several times, figured that I had better post up and tell every body.

I had the oportunity to sell my lawn biz to a friend. I started it in July of 1996 and sold in July of 2002. I worked with him for a couple of weeks to show him how I was doing things, and for him to meet the customers. I have started hauling cars for different dealers around here, and that has been going good so far.
    He got all the equipment, and customer base. The monthly agreement customers are still in my name for the rest of the season, he just works for me on those, and I pay him. So until the end of the season I won't be officially OUT of lawn care.

Here is a list of the reasons why I sold.

I had to have year around income, (house payment)

year three of the worst drought on record, expected to become year four next season would leave little income when there is no grass to mow

It was with very mixed feelings that I let it all go. When you do some thing for 6 years you have got to have your heart in it. I did for a while, when he showed up with the $$ I lost heart really fast. I am sure that when next spring rolls around I will miss it for a little. That was the time of year I always liked best. Fall was always nice because it meant a break, but also no income for about 5 months.
    Car hauling is going pretty good so far. Insurance is way high. $7300 a year.

I suppose that this means I need to change my account name, and not post on the Commercial lawn care part of LS. Tell me what you think guys, if you don't want an EX LCO posting I won't do it.

I hope in time that I can make my personal lawn the best on the block. That will be the only lawn care I plan on doing. That means I will have to post on HOMEOWNER forum. UG!!!!!!!

Have fun and be safe guys, and gals. Wear your ear and eye protection. :D
  2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I wish someone would buy me out!

3. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

I just wanted you to know how much I appreciated the advice you gave me on getting a Walker. I for one am going to miss reading your post here. I wish you the best of luck in your new business. You never can tell what doors will open when you try or met something new. I'd still like to learn from your business smarts. Thanks for the help in the past. Keep in touch. duke1510@yahoo.com
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

:cry: I need a tissue.. that last post got to me. j/k

I see no reason why you or anyone else who has been in the industry cannot continue to post here just because they threw in the towel?
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

...hmmmm, Brickman.....Brickman??? Oh yeah, now I remember him...he was a LCO at one time, wasn't he???...posted to this forum, didn't he??? Yeah! Good 'ol Brickman! ;)

Good luck with that car hauling business, Brickman! I hope you'll still hang out here. Heck, you might even decide to pick up a new lawn or two! A "former-LCO" forum...now that's an idea...think of the swell horror stories that could be posted there!! :D
  6. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Wow 5 mos with no income! I dont blame you for getting out I couldnt survive that either. Best of luck to you.
  7. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Move to Florida ,My business pulls in excess of well.....6digits a year,and we have it very easy, not too hard of draughts but alot of rain in the summer =$$$$$$$$$$ .Plus in the winter we cut every other week ,with no snow blowing in between .One week on ,One week off.Nothing but Landscaping in between.
  8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for all the ego boosts.

Dukester glad to hear you like your Walker. I guess I will be staying and adding my .01 cents worth. And irritating the Chev and Dodge guys a little longer. LOL I will be glad to anwser any questions you might have. I don't think I am all that business savy. I pretty much just bumbled my way thru and tried to not screw the same thing up twice.

SLS I probably won't be doing any other lawn work than my yard, I promised my friend to not start up another lawn biz for several years. Many of my customers were friends and would come back to me if I did. I would feel pretty chicken **** to do that to him. And you are right about the horror stories. We could probably start a few here. That would be a good idea for a post. One reason I wouldn't really want to be on a former LCO site is you would have guys like Stone on there. No thanks.

Thanks for the invite to FL. But no thanks. I can't handle the heat, or the high population. WY has about 500K, so that makes your ratio of idiots to sane people a little more bearable. lol I would rather put up with the wind here than the high pop, and EXTREMELY HIGH humidity. I lived back east for 21 years. 7 out here, I think I will stay for the time being.
    Also WY is a great state to hunt in.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

"One reason I wouldn't really want to be on a former LCO site is you would have guys like Stone on there. No thanks."

:laugh: LMAO!!! :laugh: That's priceless!

Oh yeah, didn't Stone move down to Florida??? Wyoming sounds better all the time, eh? :laugh:

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you Brickman. I've been in for 10 years and am BURNT OUT too! Along with all of the other daily headaches of the biz. I might work part time in the lawn care biz next year, just haven't made my mind up on it yet. I have some elderly customers that really want me to continue taking care of their lawns.