1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sold the business. I am done mowing!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

After 25 years in the lawn maintenance business, I have decided the time is right to quit mowing. I sold my whole business, accounts and equipment, and as of Aug. 1st., I was done with it. I have retained a very small interest for another year due to some current contract requirements, but no more day to day duties for me. It was great while it kasted, but burnout had set in.
    Now, I can concentrate on our mower sales shop, and will also do a little stump grinding on the side. I will still be checking in here several times a day.
  2. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats and Good Luck in what ever path you choose to take!
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Way to go kowing that when it is time to move - you gotta go with it instead of sitting there struggeling with something you have no desire to do. Then everything you worked for in 25 years goes downhill fast with a few botched jobs and there goes your reputation.

Enjoy the new life and persuing the new interest!
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

you're one of the few folks left that has been on here as long as me- keep checking in and share your knowledge. congrats on selling, and I hope the future is bright in whatever you do !
  5. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I absolutly cannot wait to make your exact post! (hopefully 20sum years from now!) congrats and good luck
  6. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Congrats on your exit to the business. What part of Texas are you in? And did you use a broker to sell? Just curious for any tips and your knowledge as I've come across a better opportunity and I'm thinking of getting out, either now or waiting until next Spring.

Thanks much,

Howard Roark
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am in Denton. I did not use a broker. I just put the word out and about that I was interested in selling out. Quite a few folks were interested as it turned out. I ended up selling it to a guy who had worked for me 2 years as a crew leader. He quit, went back to finish college, graduated, got a desk job, and realized he missed mowing. So, he got back into mowing with a few customers on the side. This purchase allowed him to give up the desk job and go back into mowing full time.
    If you want to sell out, just get the word out to other LCO's. There are a lot of them wanting to expand, and a few actually have the money to do so.. Good luck.