Sole proprietor or Corp??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CleanCuts101, Mar 15, 2013.

1. CleanCuts101

CleanCuts101 LawnSite Member
    from il

So im deciding on which would be better for me my company is usually just me only once in a while will I definetely need help for clean ups and bigger jobs I am getting general liability insurance but im not quite sure what would be the best route because I don't have employees majority of the time I know the topic has probably been beat but any help is appreciated!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Sole propreitor.

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

C corp. pay yourself instead of owners draw so you can have taxes come out when you pay yourself. Also, anything other than sole prop makes you and the business nearly two different entities protecting you and your assets( not company's) if someone were to sue for damages greater than your ins.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It depends.
    What you have.
    What you make.
    What you need to do.
    A CPA can explain the benefits of each best, based on your answers to each of the above.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

I went LLC, cost me 50 bucks to file articles online through my state and now my personal assets are covered

6. CleanCuts101

CleanCuts101 LawnSite Member
    from il

Thats the reason I haven't done a llc..in illinois the total for a llc is like 800 bucks
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

This works just fine with an S corp the C corps have way to much regulations including double taxation.

8. Depends on what personal assets you have to lose.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Have been a Sole Prop for 12 years and my accountant this year said I needed to do a S corp. We are sitting down after tax time and looking at the pros and cons of this other than having to pay myself a wage as oppose to taking draws. Was looking at LLC a while back but didn't give me the tax breaks needed.

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Cheap it isn't but I hear it's more like $500 diy