1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid taking out controller.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 23, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have a customer that had a bad Nelson solenoid which was blowing fuses on the controller. We replace the solenoid and all worked well until the controller got to #7 and then blew the fuse again. After taking #7 out of the equation, the controller would intermittently run or not run and show a powr message. A Rainbird 8esp.

I tried a new controller on #7 and the fuse blew immmediately. I tried the new controller on other valves and they worked great.

I think the solenoid took the controller with it when it decided to exit. The solenoids are labeled LX on the tag although there is no model # on the valves. System is 24 yrs. old. and two original Rainbird valves have been replace with Nelson. I plan on replacing #7 with a DVA Rainbird.

Homeowner has been saying the controller has been acting strange. Starting on its own and you never know what zones it might or might not start.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Before you replace the solinoid (again), try running some new wire over the ground to #7 (or connect it to a spare if there is one).

My bet is on the wiring not on the solinoid.
  3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I hooked my new controller directly to the solenoid and bypassed all existing wiring and it blew the fuse. I should have specified this in the original post.
    Thanks DW for the reply. Any ideas with this new info?

4. Yes....do not replace a bad solenoid with another bad solenoid....

Remove the battery from the controller.....unplug or remove voltage from the timer.....let sit 5-10 minutes.....plug back in and put battery back in....

May or may not work.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've had them bad right out of the box. :rolleyes:
  6. You have!!!!! OMG...you're the only one....

Sarcasm little guy....sarcasm.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Gosh, gee wizz. Must be nice to live in CO where all is perfect in the irrigation world. ;)

Sarcasm little guy...sarcasm. :rolleyes: