Solenoids going bad

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Sep 26, 2012.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Same thing, just done by the mfg. instead of an add-on. As per Resto.
    Testing is easy, the wire that feeds your starter solenoid comes off the cube relay, so, if it is getting 12V when you hit the start switch the relay is good.
    Unplug the wire off the solenoid terminal when testing.
    Go to the Scag site and locate your model.
    Then download the owners manual, it should have a wiring diagram to check out.

JimQ is right on with the solenoid descriptions.
  2. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Well I replaced the original relay under the control panel and the starter assist relay...I get 12.48 volts when I hit the still clicks though...I'm completely stumped...any ideas?
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Does the starter work when you jump the two heavy solenoid terminals?
    Could be a bad starter, drawing too much current.
    Could be a poor ground. Unplug both small terminals. Ground one, then jump the other to the bat + or the heavy bat. terminal. The solenoid should work.
    Did you check all the battery cable connections?
  4. Lasko's Lawn Service

Thanks for the input...had two different batteries...the one load tested bad its out of the equation now...I put in another battery..however, in this 32 degree weather the solenoid still clicked and wouldn't engage the starter this am...solenoid is good...cranks engine when jumped from small terminal to large one...connections all look good...small ignition wire gets 12 volts at it almost cosistently...I'm completely puzzled...maybe enough amperage isn't traveling through the battery wires???
  5. Lasko's Lawn Service

Oh by the way, starter is almost brand new and battery and ground connections look good....the battery is good too..had that load tested at 286amps out of 300...I'm baffled...
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Put your red multimeter lead on the starter post, The black to a good ground. Turn the key to start then listen for the solenoid click and read the voltage on the meter.....
  7. greenrhino72

greenrhino72 LawnSite Member
    from nc

Having this problem too, finally getting worse.Going too finally start to trouble shoot.Did you ever get it fixed?