soliciting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aburton07, Mar 17, 2004.

1. aburton07

aburton07 Banned

today i was passing out flyers in a neighborhood near my shop and one of the powerhungry jack-A homeowners stoped me and said. "this is a no soliciting neighborhood, and that includes what you are doing. You will be getting a cease and desist from our lawyer and i would advise you leave now!" I was already havving a bad day so this made me mad to say the least. so when i got home i pulled out the dictionary to see if i was infact breaking the law or ordinance or whatever it is. The dictionary said to solicit is to: approach with a request or plea, to entice or lure, to strongly urge, none of these are what i was doing so i was curious to know if i was missing something. or if i can go back, throw the dictionary at him and pass out the rest of the flyers just to spite him!
    thanks in advance!
    andrew

2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I say pass them out. Screw him....he was probably just trying to get you to give up, might relater back to childhood. If you recieve a cease and desist order then move on. Probably just a jerk talking trash. Ask him for the name of his lawyer and then call and ask if he represents them. If not, tell the lawyer that he should be requesting a retainer from that jerk.:gunsfirin

3. houston

houston LawnSite Member

aburton07,

When you first enter a subdivision, look around the entrance and the first block or so. This is where subdivisions post "no soliciting" signs.

I personally do not solicit in these neighhborhoods. I also do not leave anything at homes that have a "no soliciting" sign close to their front door.

If there are no "no soliciting" signs then they are fair game in my books.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You cant do it legally there. But with flyers, and no one likes to hear it, but its only illegal if you get caught. If someone complains, leave that street and go about your business. I had the cops called on me only one time. Threatened me with a $55 ticket, oooooooooooooooo no. I used to do flyers every year, that is how i built my business. Also, if you can put an average price for the area on it that will increase your call volume about 10 times.

5. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Passing out flyers is not illegal in any way shape or form. Soliciting is a door-to-door salesman. If you're not saying "Would you like to buy?" or, "Can I interest you in..." it's not soliciting.

Chris

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So if a prostitue has a sign with prices she cant be charged with SOLICITATION of prostitution?

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

No solicitating signs posted at the entrance of a community mean nothing, unless the roads are private .

8. aburton07

aburton07 Banned

thanks for your input everyone!

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

And how much work do you think you'll get by trying to prove a point to them? Quit wasting your time and move on to the next neighborhood.

10. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Our entire town has 'no soliciting' signs, I've got countless customers here....;)

Chris