Solid Foil Blades

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Brieldo, May 28, 2003.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I've been using my EPS for awhile now and I love it! I do have a question about the blades, however...

The blades I have now have a half circle missing from the foil...I assume this is "notched air foil"? Do you make blades that have a solid foil on them? Ie. The half circle isnt there?

Thank you!!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Since you have an EPS unit you either have a 60 or 72 inch deck. Here are the part numbers for both solid airfoil blades.

60" 103-1580
    72" 103-1581

Your local exmark dealer should be able to help you out.

Thanks, Fred.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ben, these are the blades that I had to go to and use. The notched foil blades were causing a streak in my rows on the forward sweep of my center blade. When we went to solid foils, this ended it. Another thing that works real well, are the DC blades. They have a much longer cutting edge on them. I haven't tried the Excaliburs yet, but would love to sometime. They are just too pricey for me.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I was also using DC blades. They are thicker .240 vs the .203 of the eXmarks.

I like the new Excaliburs. The thinner blade gives me more RPM and drags less in the real heavy stuff.

As for price, I get the Excaliburs for $10.08 each. The DC blades cost me $10.90 and bogg down the mower more.

Right now I'm using both solid foil and notched foil Excaliburs. I'm trying to determine if there is a noticeable difference. All I know is, when I put on a DC (.240 thick ) set, my RPM's drop by 30 and drop more quickly under heavy load. I'm crankin' 3750 engaged and was seeing 3570's often times at the end of a row of heavy growth. Put the Excaliburs back on and RPM's are up to ~3780 and never drop below 3600. All this from 0.037" difference in thickness!!!
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I had no idea that the Excaliburs were available for such a low price. I thought I read somewhere that these blades were rather high priced. I just purchased some DC blades today through Lesco that were $10.05 apiece, but if I had any idea that the Excaliburs were that cheap, I would've opted for them. Not to turn this into a chat session, or anything, but could you please tell me if this was just through your local Exmark dealer?
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here are my prices:

103-2530 Notched Foil Excaliburs...$10.08

103-1580 Solid Foil Excaliburs...$10.76

30227-60H DC Solid Foils...$10.90

I found its cheaper to buy from my dealer for blades. Why....

1) OEM eXmark quality

2) No shipping charge

3) Get to SEE the blade prior to purchase

4) Help my dealer out a bit.

Only thing saved with mailorder is Sales tax. But unless you place a $250 order, shipping on blades usually eats up profit. Plus, you never know what quality your gonna get with aftermarket mailorder. NONE of them carry OEM blades.

Good Luck!
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Amen TLS.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

So far I have used the notched foil Excaliburs that came on the mower, two sets of solid air foil Excaliburs and I am now running with a set of DC solids. Honestly, here in St. Augustine grass, I couldn't tell much difference between the solid and notched Excaliburs. One thing I did notice that was unusaul was the amount of damage that 3 of 6 of my solid Ex blades had after use. I haven't hit anything particularly hard with them, maybe a stick here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. All three of them have rips in the cutting edge. Trust me, I don't just go mowing over stuff carelessly, I really try to take good care of my stuff, that's why I found it so unusal.

I am using the DC blades right now, mainly because I have a dealer close by. I paid $21.57/set with tax for the three for my 60". I can't give a full report on them yet since they have only been on a short time. BTW, that's a good price on the Excaliburs, I paid $12.50 each or so for solids. Amazing how price varies so much. Especially the difference in price on the DC blades.
  9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a sert of 103-2530s notched Excalibers...

Getting ready to put them on now. They cost me 12.95 each...:(
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

12.95 Me to.