1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

solid steel shovels

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Mar 13, 2010.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Anybody get them online? I've looked around a few places. Nurseries want $50+

2. they are not cheap but you won't need to buy another either.

oh yeah try. http://amleo.com/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

AM Leonard. I bought steel handled spades from them about 10(+) years ago. Paid a heck of a lotta money for them. Other than 1 or 2 disappearing - we haven't had to replace one yet........

4. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, AM Leonard. These things will last a lifetime.

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

the spade will wear out before a knucklehead can break them. they are the only shovel we buy.

6. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

id like 1 for shrub removal only.lol i hate how wooden shafts only allow minimal presure for "popping" roots. solid steel seems great!

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also get long handled spades made of all steel that are great for prying on roots and other stuff. lol!

We pay $55 for our metal D spades made by wolverine

I love these shovels except when you hit a rock and it feels like your hand is going to shatter.

8. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

We use the wolverines and pay about $55 for them also.. ive been getting ours from jd landscapes... we have 3 and getting ready to buy a few more

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

we have one that my wife picked up that we call the punisher. its about 13 pounds makes a bad ass prybar. used it to install granite steps the other day great for sliding them into place.

10. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I agree with everyone above. The results justify the cost. They are the only thing I need to remove the root balls from shrubs. I have also seen them run over by trucks and still function well. All that said, they come with a 5 year contractor guarantee, nuff said.