Solitaire-Nutsedge question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by avguy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

so, there are restrictions on use similar to msma on cool seasons huh? that is what i get from your posts about solitaire.

what do you think of blanketing sulfentrazone in a product like surge during summer months(of course not brown or dormant grass) and the effect on trees etc, but not from drift, from root level?

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi buddy -- I sure enjoyed seeing you guys, your business, and the tour you gave me. You certainly have nice accounts and a super nice business.

We received 2 phone calls today from insurance companies asking if we had Imprellis damage. We told 'em we chose not to use it this year. I think the wolves are out, and insurance companies are taking advantage (especially with the osama economy).

I ordered a gallon of Basagran today ($105.00) One quart per acre. My sales rep said the reason I'm seeing repeat yellow nutsedge on lawns that were treated last year is cuz of all the seeds that are in the soil. Not sure if I buy that due to previous (very good) experience with Basagran 20 years ago.

Basagran started out as ag product, but then was introduced for use on nearly all turfgrasses. I'm gunna switch to it next week, add a little LI700 and hope for the best. I hate doing repeat applications, no matter what weed it is.

BTW, a fine (small droplet) spray gives the best (100%) kill . The taller the nutsedhge is when you spray it, the better the kill. my 2 cents

3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I'm applying sedge in the very early AM to a very small (<100SF) area. The yellow nutsedge is very noticably taller than the grass, there. Label says not to mow for 2 days subsequent to applying.

My regular service day for this account is Tuesday. I know this falls within the label directions, but.....would the effect be greater if I didn't mow this area, Tuesday? It's not really an issue NOT to mow, then. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

I know this is a solitaire thread. And, I apologize for the mini hi-jack. I suppose the same question could be asked re: solitaire (though I haven't read that label).

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

As a preemerge.........have you southern guys considered Pennant??? Then use Certainty or Dismiss as a post followup??

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sometimes I'll get to a lawn needing nutsedge spray, but they just mowed. I tell them not to mow the nutsedge areas so I can come back in a few days and spray it when it's tall (the taller the better). After spraying, I tell folks not to mow the nutsedge areas for 3 or 4 days after I spray. (they can always mow around it). This gives the product enough time to trans-locate throughout the entire plant (especially the roots).

my 2 cents. Good point post vencops

6. vencops

from NC

Although it doesn't show up in this photo (this was taken some time ago), this is the area (small strip of grass, adjacent to walk). I can easily just leave this to grow another few days...or for a week.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. Think Green

Ven,
    Those are some massively large beds for such small shrubbery. The pine straw mulch looks awesome though. I like the adage of " A little is more!" but sometimes things look a little out of context.
    When I landscape beds of this size..........their is color contrast and terraced sizes of shrubbery to balance the design out.
    Not blaming you for anything..................this pic looks nice.

I am sure the grass is suffering from water backfilling. You have bed on the left and a sidewalk on the right. Where is the water to go?? Nutsedge will love this site.

8. vencops

from NC

I took over this estate from the homeowner....lol. Let's just say it's come a long way (I picked up his two next-door neighbors, after they saw the transformation).

What's in the beds is what was in there before I took over (sans two dwarf nandinas I replaced, that had died).

He has a valid reason why he isn't going to spend a LOT on landscaping. This is a second home (not the main reason). He lives full-time in another state. He's signed up for full-service (maint. and apps), though. We're just not going to be adding a lot of plantings.

I agree with your opinion, though.

And this (below) is dead-nuts correct.

9. Think Green

Looks quite professional!
    Just an observation for a strip of grass living in between a edged bed and a sidewalk.
    With any sort of rain or irrigation.........the water doesn't appear to have anywhere to really escape. This is a prime site for nutsedge to take over and flourish. That is all.

Oh! This pic was taken back in the spring because of the non leafed tree in the background and the unleaved crape myrtle in the pic. The red maple is some of the first to appear with warm weather.

10. vencops

from NC

Yep (old pic). If it was a current pic (I'll take one, tomorrow), you'd see the nutsedge!

This pic was taken, Tuesday. He does have larger plantings out front.

[​IMG]